[News] Why Intellectual Monopolies Should be Abolished in China and India

The Way Forward On Intellectual Property For China And India

,----[ Quote ]
| The continued development of the knowledge economies in both China and India
| requires thoughtful, practical policies that will give the needed incentive
| and capacity to innovators while providing benefits to as many as possible.
| In contrast to the beliefs of many, further strengthened intellectual
| property rights are unlikely to provide a positive impact on the economies of
| China and India. Instead, the two emerging giants should dedicate maximum
| attention to the other ingredients of a knowledge economy while structuring,
| to every extent possible under international treaty obligations, their
| domestic intellectual property regime to provide the optimum balance between
| incentives and access, bearing in mind that to diffuse the gains from
| existing innovations, the latter is to be favored.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090601/0607265081.shtml

Recent:

Careful What You Ask For: China's Patent System Causing Trouble

,----[ Quote ]
| All those foreign nations who kept pushing China to build up its own patent
| system and learn to "respect intellectual property" may soon be regretting
| that, as they're suddenly blocked out of the Chinese market by Chinese firms
| who fast-tracked cheap utility patents themselves with little to no review.
| Be careful what you wish for.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090826/1354186007.shtml

Beijing ruling shows why foreign companies need a patent strategy for China

,----[ Quote ]
| When France's Schneider Electric faced a patent battle in a Chinese court
| recently it had reason to feel confident. It thought it had a solid prior art
| case for invalidating the patent being used against it by Chinese firm Chint,
| and foreign companies win 95% of patent cases in the Chinese courts.
`----

http://www.out-law.com//default.aspx?page=10323

Strange patent filed in China: Method to boot Linux OS from mobile harddisk

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.kernel.sg/blog/2008/01/20/strange-patent-filed-in-china-method-to-boot-linux-os-from-mobile-harddisk/