[News] Open Access Carries on Entering Law and Science

'Cyberlaw Cases' blog monitors top Internet-related cases

,----[ Quote ]
| Two University of California, Berkeley, professors are teaming up with two
| colleagues to launch "Cyberlaw Cases," a blog covering what they consider the
| top 10 most important pending U.S. legal cases involving issues that impact
| the Internet, databases and software programs.
`----

http://www.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2009/09/03_cyberlawblog.shtml

Peter Murray-Rust on the (Scientific) Value of Sharing

,----[ Quote ]
| There has been a history of controlling data through commercial means, and
| there are a lot of organizations which up until now have made an income by
| collecting data from the community and then packaging it and selling it back.
| That was a reasonable thing to do in the 20th century. But in the 21st
| century, so much information is now born digital that it makes sense to think
| of an economy where as we create the data, we release it to the community
| rather than locking it up.
`----

http://www.good.is/post/peter-murray-rust-on-the-scientific-value-of-sharing/

Open Source DNA: Mathematical Formula Protects Genetic Privacy

,----[ Quote ]
| In the chilling science fiction movie Gattaca, Ethan Hawke stars as a man
| with "inferior genes" who assumes another's genetic identity to escape a
| dead-end future. The 1997 film illustrates the very real fear swirling around
| today's genome research â fear that private genetic information could be used
| negatively against us.
`----

http://www.scientificcomputing.com/news-DA-Open-Source-DNA-Mathematical-Formula-Protects-Genetic-Privacy-092009.aspx

Recent:

Europe Seeks to Ease Rules for Putting Books Online

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Commission on Friday will propose drafting rules that would make
| it easier to put many books and manuscripts online. The move is a part of the
| commissionâs effort to bolster access to information and to encourage online
| businesses.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/28/technology/internet/28books.html?_r=3

Steve Schultze to Join CITP as Associate Director

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm thrilled to announce that Steve Schultze will be joining the Center for
| Information Technology Policy at Princeton, as our new Associate Director,
| starting September 15. We know Steve well, having followed his work as a
| fellow at the Berkman Center at Harvard, not to mention his collaboration
| with us on RECAP.
`----

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/blog/felten/steve-schultze-join-citp-associate-director

Online tool sheds sunlight on court records

,----[ Quote ]
| "User fees are not on their face an absurd proposition," said RECAP
| co-developer Stephen Schultze, who is also a fellow at Harvard University's
| Berkman Center for Internet and Society. "On the other hand, there may be
| enough benefits to open access . . . and justice that it would be worth
| funding it out of general taxpayer dollars."
`----

http://www.nextgov.com/nextgov/ng_20090819_1886.php?oref=topnews

Another Reason for Open Access

,----[ Quote ]
| Why not, indeed? For as Neylon points out:
|
| Â Â If an author feels strongly enough that a paper will get to a wider
| Â Â audience in a new journal, if they feel strongly enough that it will
| Â Â benefit from that journalâs peer review process, and they are prepared to
| Â Â pay a fee for that publication, why should they be prevented from doing
| Â Â so? If that publication does bring that science to a wider audience, is
| Â Â not a public service publisher discharging their mission through that
| Â Â publication?
|
| Which is only possible, of course, in open access journals adopting a funder
| pays approach, since traditional publishers need to be able to point to the
| uniqueness of their content if they are trying to sell it - after all, why
| would you want to buy it twice? Open access journals have no such imperative,
| since they are giving it away, so readers have no expectations that the stuff
| is unique and never seen before.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/08/another-reason-for-open-access.html

Draft Open Access and Licensing Framework released

,----[ Quote ]
| Today the State Services Commission is releasing the draft New Zealand
| Government Open Access and Licensing framework (NZGOAL) (HTML with comments
| [*]). This document provides guidance for State Services agencies on:
|
| Â Â * open access to non-copyright information; and
| Â Â * open licensing of copyright works,
|
| in both cases with a view to allowing their re-use by others. (It does not
| apply to information or works containing personal or other sensitive
| information).
`----

http://blog.e.govt.nz/index.php/2009/08/27/draft-open-access-and-licensing-framework-released/

Defending the Digitised Public Domain

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a crucially important issue. At the moment, some publishers are
| trying to create a new copyright in public domain materials just because they
| have been digitised. This is not only absurd, but threatens to nullify much
| of the huge potential of turning analogue knowledge into digital form.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/08/defending-digitised-public-domain.html

Manifesto

,----[ Quote ]