[News] Amazon Still Plays Bad Cop, Good Cop

Amazon withdraws Man U chants CD

,----[ Quote ]
| Amazon have withdrawn a CD of Manchester United chants from sale on its
| website because of complaints that some of the lyrics are offensive.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/front_page/newsid_10000000/newsid_10001400/10001422.stm

Amazon Offers Redelivery or $30 to People Who Lost '1984'

,----[ Quote ]
| Amazon took a lot of heat in July when it wirelessly deleted copies of two
| George Orwell titles from the Kindle e-readers of some customers. CEO Jeff
| Bezos eventually apologized for the incident, calling it âstupid,
| thoughtless, and painfully out of line with our principles.â
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/09/04/amazon-offers-redelivery-or-30-to-people-who-lost-1984/?mod=rss_WSJBlog?mod=

Skeptical Shopper: The Pros and Cons of Buying E-Books

,----[ Quote ]
| Always download and save any e-book you purchase directly to your PC (you're
| allowed to do this). When you want to read one, transfer it to your Kindle
| via USB.
|
| [...]
|
| If you don't want to deal with Amazon or DRM hassles at all, download e-books
| from sites that offer public-domain works. They might not have the breadth of
| titles that Amazon has, but you can find some intriguing things. Project
| Gutenberg has thousands of e-book titles available for free download, from
| Ulysses to the Boy Scouts Handbook. Project Gutenberg is hosted by Ibiblio, a
| collaborative project of the University of North Carolina that conserves
| freely available information about subjects including software, music,
| literature, art, history, and science. What's great about these sites is that
| you can view much of the content on other e-book readers or on your mobile
| phone--not just on the Kindle.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/170635/skeptical_shopper_the_pros_and_cons_of_buying_ebooks.html

Recent: