[News] TiVo Behaves Almost Like a Patent Troll/Taxman

EchoStar ordered to pay TiVo (another) $200m

,----[ Quote ]
| Dish Network and its sister company EchoStar must cough up an extra $200
| million to TiVo for continuing to offer DVR functionality in their set-top
| boxes after being slapped with a court injunction.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/04/echostar_v_tivo_200m_more/

Recent:

TiVo sues AT&T, Verizon over DVR patents

,----[ Quote ]
| TiVo said Wednesday that it is suing AT&T and Verizon over three DVR patents.
| The complaints seek damages and a permanent injunction.
|
| Simply put, TiVo is pursuing the same legal playbook it followed against
| Dish/EchoStar. The patents in question include 6,233,389, 7,529,465 and
| 7,493,015.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10318899-93.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

TiVo's rebound

,----[ Quote ]
| Off and on for the past six years I've been an armchair quarterback for TiVo
| telling them they should do anything and everything to become profitable,
| among other things: they should offer pay-per-view downloads (I asked for
| this in 2002), they should broker deals with cable companies, that they
| should release software for PCs, that they should move to international
| markets, and that while I'm not a fan of software patents in general I feel
| the TiVo patents are original and worth fighting.
|
| What I realized this week is that TiVo has spent the past couple years
| starting battles on all these fronts, and it looks like (at least to this
| outside observer) like TiVo is winning on all fronts. Even as their CEO
| admits more people are using DVRs and skipping lots of ads, I'd say TiVo is
| doing well.
`----

http://www.pvrblog.com/pvr/2008/10/tivos-rebound.html

DirecTV Strikes Deal to Offer TiVo Recorder

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/03/directtv-strikes-deal-to-offer-tivo-recorder/