[News] Nathan Myhrvold Troll Company Called "Pyramid Scheme", Funded by Microsoft and Apple

  • Subject: [News] Nathan Myhrvold Troll Company Called "Pyramid Scheme", Funded by Microsoft and Apple
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 00:06:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Intellectual Ventures' Patents Starting To Show Up In Lawsuits

,----[ Quote ]
| Intellectual Ventures, of course, is the Nathan Myhrvold company that has
| been building up a huge portfolio of patents with which to get big tech
| companies to pay many millions of dollars to not get sued -- and, according
| to many, to get a cut of future deals as well, making the whole thing sound
| suspiciously like a pyramid scheme.
|
| [...]
|
| But, a year ago, we noted that the company appeared to be getting antsy.
| While it was bringing in some hefty fees from a small group of companies who
| bought into the equity pyramid (which neatly lets the world outside be
| confused over what's "investment" and what's "revenue"), there was concern
| that investors were getting impatient. Pouring billions of dollars into a
| company that isn't doing much can make some investors a little anxious. And
| while we still don't know of any direct lawsuits, Zusha Elinson has noticed
| that Intellectual Ventures' former patents are starting to show up in court,
| often involving some of the most well known names normally associated
| with "patent trolling."
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090903/0333546094.shtml

Intellectual Ventures Takes Indirect Route to Court

,----[ Quote ]
| Both Apple and Microsoft have been reported to be IV investors.
`----

http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202433490140&thepage=2

When you buy from Apple, you fund patent trolls.

Recent:

Conn. divorce judge puts $250K into escrow

,----[ Quote ]
| A Connecticut divorce judge ordered Tuesday that $250,000 be placed in escrow
| that a hedge fund planned to pay a former Microsoft employee amid a federal
| investigation of possible insider trading.
|
| [...]
|
| The Securities and Exchange Commission earlier this year reopened its probe
| of possible insider trading at Pequot. It's investigating if Pequot traded
| Microsoft Corp. Â( MSFT - Ânews Â- Âpeople ) shares on confidential
| information provided by Zilkha, whom it had hired.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/04/28/ap6351588.html

Related:

Microsoft exec dumped stock prior to Red Ring announcement

,----[ Quote ]
| To make matters more murky, the sales were not registered with the Securities
| and Exchange Commission within the mandatory two days of the transaction, a
| result of an alleged "administrative error." Microsoft has since remedied the
| issue by following the "procedures required of late-filers." Â
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/08/14/microsoft-exec-dumped-stocks-prior-to-red-ring-addresment

Microsoft's Bach sold more stock before Xbox news

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. executive Robbie Bach sold $3 million more in company stock
| during the period leading up to an announcement about a costly flaw in its
| Xbox video game console than previously reported, according to a filing
| Monday with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Â
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsofts-bach-sold-additional-stock/story.aspx?guid=%7BBECA3A50-EF33-4161-A111-A43BDC8B0462%7D&siteid=yhoof

Insider Trading Hasn't Affect Microsoft Stock - Yet

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070713/40947_id.html?.v=1

,----[ Quote ]
| Sadly, many of these brilliant people have been blinded by the stock
| price and unable to see that Microsoft is also the key architect of
| the greatest financial pyramid scheme this century.
|
| It is not uncommon for participants in pyramid schemes to lose their
| emotional bearings. My close friends who work at Microsoft are
| particularly upset over my work and it is possible that even Bill
| Gates and Steve Ballmer do not realize the implications of their
| financial practices.
`----

http://www.billparish.com/msftfraudfacts.html

Microsoft Shilling and Astroturfing