[News] Old Press is Ripping Off Bloggers, Whom It Accuses of 'Stealing'

NY Post Reporter Admits That It's Company Policy Not To Credit Blogs Or Other
Sources

,----[ Quote ]
| So, the author of the blog post, one "Miss Heather" contacted one of the NY
| Post reporters, who quite openly admitted to using the blog post for his
| story, and then said it's against corporate policy to credit bloggers with
| scoops.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090904/0416086107.shtml

Recent:

License Revoked

,----[ Quote ]
| I just got an automated email from iCopyright, the flunkies who handle the
| APâs insane blog licenses. It turns out that my âlicenseâ to quote Thomas
| Jefferson has just been ârevokedâ and my money refunded. When I saw that
| word, all I could think of was Danny Gloverâs response to the bad guyâs claim
| of diplomatic immunity Lethal Weapon 2: a bullet and the quip, âJust been
| revoked.â
|
| Oh, noes! Does this mean I need to take the Jefferson line down? Will they
| sue me for infringement and cattle rustling if I donât? Whatever will I do
| now that the all-knowing AP wonât permit me to use twenty-six words by a man
| whoâs been dead for a hundred and eighty-three years?
`----

http://laboratorium.net/archive/2009/08/03/license_revoked

What If News Organizations Had Their Own Gawker-Like Sites?

,----[ Quote ]
| While many journalists are attached to long-form stories delivered in a
| traditionally detached and serious tone, that doesn't necessarily align with
| how more and more people actually consume media and news.
|
| So why not offer both approaches on a news site? Rather than wait for (or
| actively solicit) popular venues such as Gawker or "The Daily Show" to imbue
| labor-intensive, in-depth reporting with mass appeal, news organizations
| could instead present their own briefer, more lighthearted takes on longer
| stories and increase the chances of driving traffic and engagement to the
| original stories.
`----

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=31&aid=168008

Rupert's Roller-Coaster

,----[ Quote ]
| I think it's interesting that I almost never quote from or link to News
| International titles: there's simply too little there of interest. By
| contrast, I *do* link quite often to New York Times and Guardian stories,
| both of which offer stuff not covered elsewhere. So I don't think I'm going
| to miss Mr Murdoch's titles when they suddenly fall off the digital radar...
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/08/ruperts-roller-coaster.html

Niche work â if you can get it

,----[ Quote ]
| My hunch is that the game is up for the carpet-bombing approach. The era of
| the all-things-to-all-readers newspaper is ending. That doesnât necessarily
| mean, however, that there isnât a future for some kinds of print
| newspaper/periodical. Just looking at my own behaviour, Iâm happy to pay for
| certain kinds of high-quality, generalist, content: itâs why I subscribe to
| the Economist, the New Yorker and the London Review of Books, for example.
| And why I buy the Guardian. (Full disclosure: I write for the Observer, which
| is owned by the Guardian.) Iâd also pay to read a select number of columnists
| and reporters â names that come to mind are Paul Krugman, Frank Rich, Vic
| Keegan, Charles Arthur, Andrew Brown, Martin Kettle, George Monbiot, Robert
| Peston, Nick Robinson, Rory Cellan-Jones, Bill Thompson, John Kelly. But I
| wouldnât pay for any generalist, middle-of-the-road newspaper, online or off.
`----

http://memex.naughtons.org/archives/2009/08/08/8582

AP Preparing New Copyright Management System

,----[ Quote ]
| The new system will register key identifying information about each piece of
| content that AP distributes as well as the terms of use of that content into
| a storage database. It also will employ a built-in "beacon" to notify AP and
| other publishers about how the content is used.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Data-Storage/AP-Preparing-New-Copyright-Management-System-383361/

DRM for news? Inside the AP's plan to "wrap" its content

,----[ Quote ]
| The Associated Press, reeling from the newspaper apocalypse, has a new plan
| to "wrap" and "protect" its content though a "digital permissions framework.
| But there's (way) less here than meets the eye.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/07/drm-for-news-inside-the-aps-plan-to-wrap-its-content.ars

Permission Culture: Want To Quote A Single Sentence In A Book? Pay Up!

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, it's become so impossible to quote a single short sentence, that it's
| just not worth doing at all. Welcome to permission society. Some copyright
| system believers may claim that this is just the market at work, but it
| certainly seems a lot more like an undue restriction on freedom of expression
| at the hands of copyright law.

Did European Court Just Make Search Engines Illegal? 11-Word Snippet Can Be
Copyright Infringement

,----[ Quote ]