Re: Jetstar to deploy 3G netbooks at departure gates

____/ Homer on Tuesday 08 Sep 2009 19:53 : \____

> [...]
> performance.
>
> Alas, many tests reveal that they don't.
>
> SSD "performance in the Vista environment falls short of what the market
> really needs", admitted Harari at the company's earnings conference this
> week.
>
> Why not? According to Harari, it's because "Vista is not optimised for
> Flash memory solid-state disks".
>
> But isn't that the disk makers' problem? Despite pointing the finger at
> Vista, Harari tacitly admitted it was by signalling that what's needed
> are new Flash memory controllers that can be built into the SSDs and
> "compensate for Vista shortfalls".
> [/quote]
>
> http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/22/sandisk_ssd_vista_beef/
>

> Meanwhile:
>
> [quote]
> NILFS: A File System to Make SSDs Scream
>
> The 2.6.30 kernel is chock full of next-gen file systems. One such
> example is NILFS, a new log-structured file system that dramatically
> improves write performance.
> [/quote]
>
> http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7345/1.html
>
>> To start you can post the output of sudo hdparm -t /dev/sda.
>
> HDTune 3.1 disk read speeds, Vista vs Windows 7, on an Intel X25-M SSD:
> (Test performed by Chris Connolly of hothardware.com)
>
> Vista:	208.2 MB/s
> Win 7:	235.7 MB/s
>
> http://hothardware.com/Articles/Windows-7-Disk-Performance-Analyzed/?page=3
>

> HDParm disk read speeds, Linux, on an Intel X25-E SSD:
> (Test performed by Peter Eisentraut of F-Secure)
>
> Linux:	260.0 MB/s
>
> http://petereisentraut.blogspot.com/2009/07/solid-state-drive-benchmarks-and-write.html
>
> Summary results:
>
> OS	Read Speed	Differential
> Vista	208.2 MB/s	+0
> Win 7	235.7 MB/s	+27.5
> Linux	260.0 MB/s	+24.3
>
> Since these tests were not performed on identical disks, there is some
> discrepancy, however contrary to biasing the Linux results, it actually
> biases the Windows results more favourably, since the X-25-M is
> /faster/ in single disk configurations (as tested):
>
> [quote]
> As we saw with the single drives, we the X25-M performs slightly better
> than the X25-E in terms of read rates.
> [/quote]
>
> http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=208896
>
> Conclusion: Linux performs better than Windows XP, Vista and even "7" on
> SSD, to the tune of some 10% - 25% faster (against "7" and Vista
> respectively), and that's /before/ filesystem improvements such as
> NILFS, or scheduler optimisations like noop, are taken into
> consideration, even on slower performing hardware. Adjustments to
> account for optimal hardware, filesystem and scheduler support, might
> easily increase that margin to 50% or greater, but currently the
> differential is a very clear /minimum/ 10% lead for Linux, as measured
> against Microsoft's latest operating system.

Some more links (FWIW). The fourth one of the one I had in mind

SanDisk releases faster netbook solid state disk drives

,----[ Quote ]
| Engineers from SanDisk and Canonical Ltd., creator of the Ubuntu Linux-based
| operating system, have worked together on system optimizations for the Gen2
| pSSD, resulting in improved system responsiveness and longer battery life,
| SanDisk said in a statement.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=knowledge_center&articleId=9133778&taxonomyId=1&intsrc=kc_top

IBM ships SSDs for Power Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM today begins selling its first solid state disks for its Power Systems
| boxes, the machines it uses to attack the Unix, Linux, and OS/400 installed
| bases.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/22/ibm_power_ssds/

Dell Mini 10 Netbook Available with Ubuntu and SSD Option

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell's Mini 10 netbook hasn't been on the market very long, but it has proven
| to be a popular machine for the computer maker. Dell has announced that it
| will now be offering new options on the netbook including an SSD and Ubuntu
| OS.
`----

http://www.i4u.com/article24659.html

Which operating system is best for solid-state drives?

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Far, Mac OS X runs "a little faster than Vista" with an SSD
| drive, but Linux is "always faster" than Vista or Mac OS X -- to the tune of
| 1% to 2% -- because like Windows 2000, "it never runs anything in the
| background."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=knowledge_center&articleId=9123140&taxonomyId=1&intsrc=kc_top

Linux Solid-State Drive Benchmarks

,----[ Quote ]
| With the number of netbooks on the market continuing to
| increase each month and more of these mobile devices
| switching to solid-state drives for their reliability,
| extended battery life, and faster performance, SSDs are
| becoming quite common and finding themselves meeting many
| Linux hosts. How though does the real-world performance
| differ between hard disk drives and solid-state drives on
| Linux? We have run several tests atop Ubuntu on a Samsung
| netbook with a HDD and SSD. In addition, we have also
| looked at the encryption performance using both types of
| drives.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_ssd_performance&num=1

Should Filesystems Be Optimized for SSDâs?

,----[ Quote ]
| As long as SSD manufacturers force us treat these devices as black boxes,
| there may be a certain amount of cargo cult science which may be forced upon
| us file system designers â or I guess I should say, in order to be more
| academically respectable, âwe will be forced to rely more on empirical
| measurements leading to educated engineering estimations about what the SSD
| is doing inside the black boxâ. Heh.
`----

http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2009/02/22/should-filesystems-be-optimized-for-ssds/

Geek Sheet: A Tweakerâs Guide to Solid State Drives (SSDs) and Linux

http://blogs.zdnet.com/perlow/?p=9190

If your SSD sucks, blame Vista, says SSD vendor

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/07/22/sandisk_ssd_vista_beef/

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's
warm for the rest of his life. -- the fish analogy, according to Simon Cozens
roy      pts/0        :0               Sun Sep  6 23:51   still logged in