Re: Jetstar to deploy 3G netbooks at departure gates

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> High Plains Thumper on Friday:
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>> Sinister Midget on Friday:

>>> Linux performs better than Windows XP/Vista {any version}
>>> in SSD, so either way, Windows would be just a compromise
>>> for second best.
>>
>> Of course.  Even my 2.95 GHz Intel Celeron mobo runs cooler
>> with Ubuntu 8.10 than Windows XP.  The variable speed
>> cooling fan runs at a nominal speed under Ubuntu.  Under XP,
>> the fan screams, CPU runs hotter.  Windows 7, which appears
>> at this point to be a Vista remix, is more CPU intensive
>> than XP, so I could see an SSDD netbook battery life being
>> shortened.  Time will tell, I don't know if they will also
>> experience shortened SSDD life due to journalling.  Under
>> Linux, they recommend using EXT2 instead of EXT3 for that
>> reason.
>>
>> Some of the netbooks under Linux have impressive battery
>> life, up to 8 hours.  I look forward to the cooler running
>> RISC based ARM netbooks that are now making their way to
>> market.
>>
>> I haven't run any comparisons yet on Ubuntu 8.04 LTS versus
>> XP on my Acer Aspire One netbook yet.  That one, I was
>> surprised to see it go DOA, related to a BIOS bug.
>> Fortunately, I was able to update the BIOS, brought it back
>> to life.  Wierd, and at least one COLA troll accused me of
>> breaking it using Linux.  Windows makes one stupid.
>
> Your observations above seem to be based mostly on 'feel', but
> everyone who has done a benchmark showed the same thing
> scientifically, empirically. Also see:

Well, for one, I don't have a high speed oscilloscope or
expensive network analyser.  Yes, my system has a thermistor
sitting under the heat sink and a digital temperature readout.
However the system sits under the table in a more difficult to
read location.  Perhaps one of these days I will check it.

At one place of employment we had a $20K US infra-red digital
camera.  It would have been interesting (if I could have gotten
my hands on it), to shoot the PC under different operating
systems and operating conditions.

However, for the sake of COLA, my observations still don't match
the troll's feely feely touchy touchy idiocy, so we are doing
good.   :-)

> Laptops, ergonomics, and batteries
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>> I installed Ubuntu 8.10 on this laptop (as a multiple boot
>> option) the weekend before last, and one of the first
>> notices that Ubuntu gave me was that the battery would only
>> charge to 17% of capacity. Score one for Ubuntu over Vista
>> for giving an accurate message.
> `----
>
> http://weblog.infoworld.com/stratdev/archives/2009/01/laptops_ergonom.html
>
> Ubuntu netbooks will run all day
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>> He said they would run for at least eight hours without a
>> charge a time long targeted by notebook manufacturers, as
>> it is considered to be a working day. Intel-based notebooks
>> claiming all-day working tend to pack extra batteries.
>>
>> Hickman was speaking after ARM announced that it is working
>> with Canonical, UK commercial sponsor of Linux, to optimise
>> Ubuntu for the ARM platform, mainly on the power management
>> and use of the platform's Neon multimedia processing.
> `----
>
> http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer-world/news/2230561/ubuntu-netbooks-run-day

I look forward to the ARM netbooks.  With a cooler running
processor over Intel, should make for a really nice, long running
package similar to the cell phones.

--
HPT