[News] Energy-Efficient Board Targets Linux

ARM11 SoC boasts under one-Watt efficiency

,----[ Quote ]
| Cavium Networks announced a SoC family with single- and dual ARM11 cores
| and claimed power consumption of under a Watt. Aimed at home media
| gateways and network-attached storage devices, the Econa CNS3xxx offers
| 300MHz to 700MHz clock rates, over ten multimedia and networking
| acceleration engines, and a Linux SDK, Cavium says.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Cavium-Econa-CNS3xxx/?kc=rss

Eurotech Adds Wind River Linux 3.0 Support to Products Based on Intel(R) Atom(TM) Processor

,----[ Quote ]
| Together with Wind River's World-Class Customer Support and Broad ISV
| Ecosystem, Eurotech Customers Can Focus on Differentiated Value
`----

http://www.rethink-wireless.com/?article_id=1872

Recent:

What was the first netbook?

,----[ Quote ]
| Therefore, the first netbook has to be the so-called $100 laptop: the OLPC
| (One Laptop per Child). The OLPC, with its 366MHz, AMD Geode GX2-500 CPU,
| 128MBs of RAM and, this is the important part, 802.11g Wi-Fi networking. It's
| also noteworthy that today's OLPC runs XO 8.2 a Linux distribution with the
| Sugar interface.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/what_was_the_first_netbook

What's the point of a Windows 7 ARM port?

,----[ Quote ]
| The difficulty of getting anyone to port their Windows app to ARM on a
| Windows 7 ARM netbook would probably start life with a basic Windows 7
| install, very limited driver support for peripherals, and a limited
| application lineupâprobably something like a calculator, Solitaire, possibly
| Microsoft Office, and the handful of native .NET apps that are floating
| around out there. As for the rest of the Windows application base being
| ported, Peter Bright, our resident Windows developer, tells me that fat
| binaries (a la OS X) aren't feasible with Windows' current executable format.
| So developers would have to sell separate ARM and x86 versions of Windows
| apps like they did for NT in the Alpha days.
|
| [...]
|
| In sum, an ARM-based Windows 7 netbook just wouldn't run very many Windows
| applications, and if you can't run Windows apps on your netbook, then why not
| use Linux?
|
| [...]
|
| If Microsoft really wanted to shake things up and take on Linux, the company
| would develop one single kernel and platform to run across desktops, servers,
| phones, and the Xbox. But even then, Linux would still retain one important
| advantage beyond its one-kernel-fits-all approach: Linux can never come under
| antitrust scrutiny for being too successful.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/05/whats-the-point-of-a-windows-7-arm-port.ars

Microsoft Admits Windows 7 Is Not really Suitable for Netbooks

,----[ Quote ]
| By extending the availability of Windows XP until October 2010, it admits
| that Windows 7 on a netbook doesnât really cut the mustard, and at the same
| time that the company has nothing to replace XP for that platform yet. It
| means that the lowliest version of Windows 7 is not a winner, and still gets
| beaten by Windows XP. ( Of course, they also want to take a huge swipe at
| Linux, all flavors â the availability of XP at bargain basement prices is
| going to make many think twice about ordering a netbook with any Linux
| distribution on it).
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/theoracle/2009/04/30/microsoft-admits-windows-7-is-not-really-suitable-for-netbooks/

Windows 7 leaves netbook market open for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/24773/1023/