[News] AstroTurf in Details: How it Works

Critics decry paid election-coverage policy

,----[ Quote ]
| Tom Oosterhoudt, publisher of the weekly "Conch Color," acknowledged
| his policy, which alarmed journalism experts at an internationally
| renowned institute and troubled two national civic elections and
| election reform groups.
|
| "As far as candidate forums and debates, we'll cover those when we can,
| but if candidates want their campaign covered, they have to pay to
| play," Oosterhoudt told The Citizen Thursday. "I gotta pay the bills."
`----

http://keysnews.com/node/16597

Health care lobbyists boost key players in debate

,----[ Quote ]
| When Iowa Republican Sen. Chuck Grassley staged a $1,000-per-person
| fundraiser at a Capitol Hill restaurant in June, insurance company
| Aflac helped to host.
|
| Later that week, lobbyists for physicians' groups attended
| a fundraiser for Rep. George Miller, D-Calif.
`----

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2009-09-01-health-lobbyists-lawmakers_N.htm?csp=34

Judge Says Ratings Agencies Are Not Necessarily Protected By Free Speech

,----[ Quote ]
| In a ruling last week, a judge has noted that ratings agencies' ratings
| are not protected free speech if they're only disseminated to a small
| group of people, rather than the wider public. While the ruling cites a
| few earlier cases, I have to admit that I have trouble understanding
| this reasoning. I don't recall anything in the First Amendment that
| says the government can restrict freedom of expression if it's to a
| small group of people, but not if it's to a large group of people.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090904/1709186115.shtml

Recent:

Comcast deploying astroturfing services of Radian6, spying on blog postings
with their services

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://izanbardprince.wordpress.com/2009/09/01/comcast-deploying-astroturfing-services-of-radian6-spying-on-blog-postings-with-their-services/