[News] Microsoft Brought Anti-GNU/Linux Propaganda to Office Depot, Not Just Best Buy and Staples

  • Subject: [News] Microsoft Brought Anti-GNU/Linux Propaganda to Office Depot, Not Just Best Buy and Staples
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 01:41:08 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Does Microsoft Deliver Anti-Linux Rhetoric to Best Buy Workers

http://ostatic.com/blog/does-microsoft-deliver-anti-linux-rhetoric-to-
best-buy-workers

Microsoft tells US retailers Linux is rubbish

,----[ Quote ]
| One booklet shared with our Office Depot salesman includes a page that
| looks like this...
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/09/ms_linux_pitch/

Microsoft bribes Best Buy staff to slam Mac and Linux

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1532852/microsoft-bribes-best-
buy-staff-slam-mac-linux

Microsoft Targets Linux (and Macs) with Latest Chart-Based Propaganda

http://lifehacker.com/5355556/microsoft-targets-linux-and-macs-with-
latest-chart+based-propaganda

Microsoft's latest Linux lies

,----[ Quote ]
| "If you can't beat 'em, cheat" has long been Microsoft's philosophy,
| which has lead to the Department of Justice and the European Union
| swatting them with restrictions and hundreds of millions of dollars in
| fines over the years. But that hasn't stopped them. In our latest
| example, an anonymous blogger who goes by GodofGrunts at OverClock.net,
| a site for people who want the fastest possible PCs, reports on his
| Microsoft ExpertZone training at Best Buy. What he 'learned' from
| Microsoft isn't 'exactly' true.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft also claims you can't use video chat on desktop Linux. Yet I
| use Ekiga and Skype for video chat on Linux all the time.
|
| Then there are the "Get the FUD" â er, "Get the Facts Straight" slides,
| which serve as a reminder that Microsoft's Get the Facts anti-Linux
| campaign (2004-2007) actually lives on.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14687/microsofts_latest_linux_lies

Microsoft internal slideshow for retailers targets Linux

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/09/07/microsoft-internal-slideshow-
for-retailers-targets-linux

Microsoft mis-educates Best Buy on Linux

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10346669-62.html

Microsoft Instructs Best Buy Employees on How to Trash Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| It goes on to list tables with "Camera, iPod, and MP3 compatibility"
| and "Printers and scanners compatibility" being described as "many" for
| Windows and "few" for Linux.  It also lists an ambiguous "Authorized
| Support" which it claims Linux is lacking, ignoring the fact that many
| Linux distributions do have support teams.  It also mentions that Linux
| users can't play games like "World of Warcraft", which Windows users
| can.  Ironically, Linux users can in fact use WoW within the free WINE.
`----

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+Instructs+Best+Buy+Employees+on+How+to
+Trash+Linux/article16195.htm

Microsoft teaches Best Buy employees how to troll Linux users

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft training material for Best Buy employeesâwhich not only makes
| Linux look bad, but is also full of inaccuraciesâhas leaked to the Web.
| Screenshots and commentary inside.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/09/microsoft-teaches-best-buy-
employees-how-to-troll-linux-users.ars

Anti-Macs too:

Microsoft helps Best Buy employees troll Mac users, too

,----[ Quote ]
| We've got our hands on Microsoft training material for Best Buy
| employees. It not only makes Macs look bad, but is also full of
| inaccuracies. Screenshots and commentary inside.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/09/microsoft-helps-best-buy-
employees-troll-mac-users-
too.ars?utm_source=microblogging&utm_medium=arstch&utm_term=One Microsoft
Way&utm_campaign=microblogging