Re: Microsoft Lies in Reports About Linux and Gets Away with It

____/ Wintrolls Lie on Saturday 12 Sep 2009 12:30 : \____

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:41:47 -0700 (PDT), nessuno wrote:
>>
>>> Didn't Bill Gates say something about fixing bugs was the worst reason
>>> for issuing an update to software?  I'm sure someone can supply the
>>> exact quote.
>>
>> No.
>>
>> He said, Fixing bugs was the worst reason to create a new version, which he
>> meant major version.  In other words, you shouldn't have to get a new
>> version to have your bugs fixed.  They should be downloadable as patches.
>> New versions are for new features.
>>
>> Here's the exact quote:
>>
>> "The reason we come up with new versions is not to fix bugs. It's
>> absolutely not. It's the stupidest reason to buy a new version I ever
>> heard. When we do a new version we put in lots of new things that people
>> are asking for. And so, in no sense, is stability a reason to move to a new
>> version. It's never a reason."
>
> http://www.cantrip.org/nobugs.html
>
> || FOCUS:
> ||     But there are bugs an any version which people would really like
> ||     to have fixed.
> || Gates:
> ||     No! There are no significant bugs in our released software that
> ||     any significant number of users want fixed.
> || FOCUS:
> ||     Oh, my God. I always get mad at my computer if MS Word swallows
> ||     the page numbers of a document which I printed a couple of times
> ||     with page numbers. If I complain to anybody they say "Well,
> ||     upgrade from version 5.11 to 6.0".
> || Gates:
> ||     No! If you really think there's a bug you should report a bug.
> ||     Maybe you're not using it properly. Have you ever considered that?

Thanks, that's the one !!

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Proprietary cripples communication
 01:05:01 up 3 days,  4:38,  3 users,  load average: 1.06, 1.39, 1.40