[News] Red Hat's KVM to Knock Microsoft/Citrix Xen Off the Server?

  • Subject: [News] Red Hat's KVM to Knock Microsoft/Citrix Xen Off the Server?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 22:17:05 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Will KVM KO Xen?

,----[ Quote ]
| Those looking to get their hands on KVM need look no further than the Linux
| kernel itself, of which KVM is part. This makes vendor compatibility quite
| straightforward: All ISVs that are certified for RHEL are also certified for
| deployment on KVM.
`----

http://www.serverwatch.com/article.php/3838316/Will-KVM-KO-Xen

Is Xen Mature Enough to Replace VMWare?

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6834/1/

Recent:

Red Hat pumps out commercial KVM

,----[ Quote ]
| Commercial Linux distributor Red Hat is hosting its annual summit in Chicago
| this week, and the star of the event was today's launch of Red Hat Enterprise
| Linux 5.4, which sports the first commercially supported KVM hypervisor from
| the company.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/02/redhat_rhel54_launch/

Red Hat Network Satellite 5.3 hits orbit with open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat (NYSE:RHT) today announced the release of Red Hat Network Satellite
| 5.3, the first release of the systems management tool built from the
| Spacewalk open source project.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/09/red-hat-network-satellite-53-h.html

Virt-manager 0.8.0 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Virt-manager 0.8.0 release was officially annouced late last night. This
| latest release includes bug fixes and a couple of new features, my personal
| favourite being the Clone VM wizard that I briefly mentioned in here. The
| official announcement lists the following new features...
`----

http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/virt-manager-080-released

Red Hat's standalone hypervisor goes beta

,----[ Quote ]
| Commercial Linux distributor Red Hat threw its, er, red hat into the
| virtualization ring back in February when it announced it was creating a
| standalone Enterprise Virtualization hypervisor based on KVM to compete with
| the likes of VMware, Microsoft, and Citrix Systems. Today, that standalone
| hypervisor and the tools to manage it for servers and desktops moved into
| beta.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/16/redhat_rhev_beta/

Red Hat makes KVM its Linux virtualization of choice

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite Red Hatâs surprising announcement last week that it would be
| partnering with Microsoft on virtualization, on February 23rd, Red Hatâs
| announced that it would be switching its virtualization strategy from a mix
| of virtualization programs, including the Microsoft-friendly Xen, to focusing
| on Linuxâs baked-in KVM (Kernel-based Virtual Machine)
|
| KVM, as Red Hat CTO Brian Stevens admitted during a press call, is still a
| work in progress. But, Stevens assured the audience, by working with IBM and
| Intel, Red Hat will be able to deliver its full Red Hat Virtualization
| portfolio within the next 12-months. The first fruits of this switch will
| appear in RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) 5.4, which is due out in August
| 2009.
`----

http://practical-tech.com/infrastructure/red-hat-makes-kvm-its-linux-virtualization-of-choice/

KVM virtualisation in Red Hat Linux next year

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat will be in a position to offer Kernel Virtual Machine (KVM), the open
| source virtualisation it garnered with the acquisition of Qumranet, in the
| first half of 2009.
|
| Asked by CBR when Red Hat will be able to offer the KVM technology as part of
| Red Hat Enterprise Linux, the firmâs president and CEO Jim Whitehurst said it
| is âhighly likelyâ that it would be during calendar 2009 but would not be
| drawn further.
`----

http://opensource.cbronline.com/news/kvm_virtualisation_in_red_hat_linux_next_year_021208

Related: