[News] White House Staff Starts Talking About Free Software Publicly

  • Subject: [News] White House Staff Starts Talking About Free Software Publicly
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 23:39:58 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

White House Director of New Media speaks about Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm participating at the O'Reilly Gov 2.0 Summit in Washington DC this
| week, and it is amazing to see the people that the O'Reilly conference team
| has brought together, both in terms of speakers and participants. In the
| afternoon, WAMU radio host Kojo Nnamdi interviewed Macon Phillips, the
| White House Director of New Media, revealing that both had a handle on the
| technologies reshaping American politics and concepts of American civic
| actions.
`----

http://opensource.org/node/464

Recent:

The White House Sends an Invitation: PCAST Meeting Aug. 6 and 7

,----[ Quote ]
| PCAST is a group of scientists and engineers who advise the President and the
| Office of the President, providing policy recommendations. The purpose of the
| meeting is to set priorities for the coming year.
|
| I know many of you are stakeholders, CEOs and executives of companies and
| leaders and contributors to software projects, but you don't have to be: the
| general public can contribute also. I'd so dearly love to go and speak about
| FOSS, but I don't feel it would be wise, due to the death threat situation,
| but you can go and represent yourself. And it will be streamed. There is even
| an opportunity to send written comments at any time. I'll give you the
| details in a moment, but if you've ever complained that the government is
| clueless about tech and FOSS, this is your opportunity to contribute in a
| positive way.

Chinese hack into White House network

,----[ Quote ]
| Chinese hackers have penetrated the White House computer network on multiple
| occasions, and obtained e-mails between government officials, a senior US
| official told the Financial Times.
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2931c542-ac35-11dd-bf71-000077b07658,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2F2931c542-ac35-11dd-bf71-000077b07658.html%3Fnclick_check%3D1&_i_referer=&nclick_check=1

Related:

Expert: White House Negligent on E-Mail

,----[ Quote ]

`----