[News] Fog Computing and Free Software Blend Together

  • Subject: [News] Fog Computing and Free Software Blend Together
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 07:48:55 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Eucalyptus Offers Open-Source VMware-Based Cloud Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Eucalyptus Systems, a startup that developed software that enables businesses to
| create an internal cloud computing environment that's compatible with Amazon's
| EC2, is releasing its first commercial product, the Eucalyptus Enterprise
| Edition. EEE leverages VMware virtualization technology, including vSphere and
| ESX, to give businesses more options in transforming their virtualized data
| centers into on-premises compute clouds.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Cloud-Computing/Eucalyptus-Offers-OpenSource-VMwareBased-Cloud-Platform-100923/

Q&A: Eucalyptus CTO discusses open source clouds

,----[ Quote ]
| Rich Wolski, UCSB professor and CTO of recently-established Eucalyptus Systems,
| discusses the companyâs first commercial product for the enterprise â an open
| source private cloud platform that supports Amazon AWS APIs and leverages
| VMware.
`----

http://www.itworldcanada.com/a/Daily-News/a3a21d81-aa3f-4beb-a0f3-328caca3d106.html

Why Open Source is Hard for Closed Source Vendors (Alpha Release)

,----[ Quote ]
| It is difficult for many closed source software vendors to embrace open source.
| Why is this so? After all, over the last years we have come to understand the
| many business benefits of employing open source as part of a software vendorâs
| strategy toolbox.
`----

http://dirkriehle.com/2009/09/11/why-open-source-is-hard-for-closed-source-vendors-alpha-release/

Open Source apps on the Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
| A lot of times there is a need to test applications before you want to actually
| deploy them. And testing an application often means provisioning a server for
| it, deploying the required OS and later the application. Instead of going
| through this lengthy process, you can use the Click2try service.
`----

http://www.ciol.com/Developer/Open-Source/Feature/Open-Source-apps-on-the-Cloud/9909124806/0/

Recent:

'Special' Red Hat project joins search for The Meta Cloud

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/04/red_hat_deltacloud/