[News] Heaps of Good News for Free Software

Looking a gift horse in the mouth.

,----[ Quote ]
| Let me expand on that last sentence as it is important. Open source software is
| available for use. It is free due to the conscious decision of the programmer(s).
| It is able to provide functions equivalent to or better than proprietary software.
| It is supported and maintained by the programmer(s) for free because they want to.
| The programmers of that open source software are happy that we use their software.
| It is not the end users fault to wish to use that free software for any reason.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/looking-a-gift-horse-in-the-mouth-34083

Which Would You Rather Have Working for You? Open Source Offerings at the Ohio Linuxfest.

,----[ Quote ]
| Investing in people instead of software licenses makes the most fiscal sense in
| a recession. System administrators employed by companies who invest in them are
| loyal, empowered, and available to respond to the occasional business crisis.
| Those who are trained to support free and open source solutions bring their own
| expertise to your organization. The Ohio LinuxFest is an affordable training
| opportunity for those interested in learning about free and open source
| software. www.ohiolinux.org
`----

http://www.pr.com/press-release/177216

Effective Open Source: Anchor House Hostel shortlisted for best use of technology

,----[ Quote ]
| September 2nd 2009: Anchor House , a hostel and life skills centre for homeless
| adults based in Canning Town has reached the final of the Charity Times Awards 2009
| for its effective use of open source technologies.
`----

http://www.publictechnology.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=21179&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0

Technology will be jointly developed with The Climate Registry`s software partner, Misys Open Source Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| The Climate Registry, a standards-setting organization for greenhouse gas (GHG)
| emissions reporting in North America, announced the next generation of its
| online emissions reporting system, supporting both voluntary and mandatory
| reporting, will be developed through a new technical partnership with Misys Open
| Source Solutions, a division of Misys plc, a premier IT solution and services
| company. The new version of The Climate Registry system is due for release in
| early 2010. It will feature robust and flexible technology capable of
| introducing a new level of efficiency. The announcement comes at a critical time
| as a growing number of companies begin relying on voluntary GHG emissions
| reporting to meet internal operational, analytical and environmental goals.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS135247+09-Sep-2009+BW20090909

iCIMS Adopts SpringSource Hyperic HQ to Manage and Monitor Infrastructure Powering 3,000 Customer Websites

,----[ Quote ]
| SpringSource, the leader in Java application infrastructure and management,
| today announced that iCIMS, the third-largest provider of Software-as-a-Service
| (SaaS) talent acquisition solutions, has deployed SpringSource Hyperic HQ, a key
| part of SpringSource`s full solution set, which covers the entire build, run,
| manage lifecycle for Java application development. SpringSource Hyperic HQ
| monitors a variety of application performance metrics for iCIMS` 180 Apache
| Tomcat servers that power 3,000 customer websites, enabling rapid remediation of
| issues and providing data to help create new performance enhancements within
| iCIMS` offerings.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS128149+09-Sep-2009+BW20090909

CXF open source framework merges SOAP toolkit with Celtix ESB

,----[ Quote ]
| The history behind CXF is a fascinating study in the evolution of open source
| development projects in our fast-moving times. The XFire project, originally
| intended as a Java SOAP framework based on a high performance XML parser,
| reached version 1.2.6 in May 2007 as an independent project hosted at the
| Codehaus site. Further development of XFire then moved to the shelter of the
| Apache Software Foundation, merging with the Celtix project as a standalone
| Apache project called CXF. Some developers are still using the 1.2.6 version,
| downloadable from Codehouse.
`----

http://searchsoa.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid26_gci1367496,00.html

Meetings anywhere, anytime

,----[ Quote ]
| âMyMeeting became the first open source application by the Government of
| Malaysia (GOM) to be licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2
| (GPLv2).
`----

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/9/10/nation/4657478&sec=nation

Security in Your Pocket: OpenBSD on ARM