[News] How PHP Programming Became Dominant, Facebook and Apple Release Open Source

  • Subject: [News] How PHP Programming Became Dominant, Facebook and Apple Release Open Source
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 08:05:37 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

How PHP became such a huge success

,----[ Quote ]
| Rasmus Lerdorf is undoubtedly the most famous Greenlandic geek alive. Having
| created PHP as a bunch of hackish scripts to support his website in 1995, he
| turned it into a powerful, fully fledged language that's now used by millions
| around the world.
`----

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/pc/how-php-became-such-a-huge-
success-633591?src=rss&attr=newsintern

Facebook Releases Real-time Web Server Tech as Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| Facebook is releasing as open source a Web server technology because it wants to
| make it easier for developers to create applications that let users post status
| updates in real time, a functionality popularized by Twitter.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/171767/facebook_releases_realtime_web_s
erver_tech_as_open_source.html

Apple open source Grand Central

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the highlights of the behind-the-scenes changes in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow
| Leopard was the addition of Grand Central Dispatch. Apple have now open sourced
| the code to Grand Central under an Apache 2.0 licence.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Apple-open-source-Grand-Central--/news/114221

Chrome adds new defence for cross-site scripting attacks

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has released Chrome 4.0.207.0 for Mac and Linux into its developer
| channel (a.k.a. the Dev channel). In addition to several bug fixes, the latest
| Dev release of Google's web browser adds a new defence for cross-site scripting
| (XSS) attacks.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/security/Chrome-adds-new-defence-for-cross-site-scripting-
attacks--/news/114220