[News] More Excellent Graphics Work Enters Linux Kernel Space

  • Subject: [News] More Excellent Graphics Work Enters Linux Kernel Space
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 00:18:49 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

How Important Is The Wayland Display Server?

,----[ Quote ]
| Last November we detailed the Wayland Display Server, which came about as a lightweight
| alternative to the X.Org Server and leveraged the latest Linux graphics technologies
| (primarily kernel mode-setting), and is designed elegantly with the rendering and
| compositing all being done by Wayland. Quite a bit of work was going on with this
| project early on to the point of running two X Servers within Wayland and then talk of a
| Clutter back-end for Wayland, but over the summer there has not been much to report.
| However, with the KMS page-flipping ioctl going into the Linux 2.6.32 kernel -- which is
| used by Wayland -- there should be some renewed activity with this project shortly.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzUzMQ

A 30,000 Line Patch For Mesa Brings Geometry Shaders

,----[ Quote ]
| Zack Rusin has been working on a lot of Linux graphics code lately from an OpenCL state
| tracker to other Gallium3D state trackers like X-Video / EXA. On top of this, he has
| just formally announced his work on bringing Geometry Shaders to Mesa.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzUzMw

Recent:

Intel, ATI Kernel Mode-Setting Continues To Mature

,----[ Quote ]
| The new Intel KMS patch-set this afternoon comes from Daniel Vetter and its his
| new version of the KMS overlay support. In early August we originally brought up
| Intel KMS overlay support as an alternative means used during video playback,
| but Daniel has since cleaned up this work to remove some visual corruption that
| was present in the earlier revisions. While the kernel side of this overlay
| support is set, there are some DDX changes required for the overlay support,
| which he will address following the xf86-video-intel 2.9 driver release. The
| start of this new patch set can be found here.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzUzMA

Catalyst 9.9 For Linux Released, Still XvBA Lacking

,----[ Quote ]
| A day after they had some press event where they showed off a 24 monitor setup
| running Linux (we weren't there), AMD has today released the Catalyst 9.9 driver
| for Linux. This driver, which is still behind the Ubuntu-Catalyst 9.10 driver
| that has support for the Linux 2.6.31 kernel and other improvements, has just
| one new feature: support for new Linux operating systems.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzUyOQ

In-Kernel Power Management For ATI KMS

,----[ Quote ]
| RafaÅ MiÅecki has published a set of five patches that adds support for reading
| clock values (both engine and memory), the ability to store power management
| states (core and memory clocks along with core voltage), detection support for
| an ASIC's minimum and maximum clocks, setting the new state (currently only the
| engine clock support is hooked in), and then lastly is a patch that will
| automatically down-clock the GPU when the connected display is signaled off by
| the DPMS (Display Power Management Signaling) support.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzUyOA

The X.Org 7.5 Super Module

,----[ Quote ]
| X.Org 7.5 with X Server 1.7 will hopefully make it out into the world later this
| month and to provide for easy testing of these new X packages, Peter Hutterer
| continues his work by providing an X.Org 7.5 Super Module.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzUyNw

Linux 2.6.31

,----[ Quote ]