Re: [News] New Push in the EU Encourages Commission to Make Unbundling a Reality

____/ High Plains Thumper on Sunday 13 Sep 2009 02:23 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Peter KÃhlmann on Saturday:

>>> *A* computer, yes Not a computer you would want, though.
>>> Most of those are rather old types, and too expensive for
>>> the power they have.
>>>
>>> And you certainly can't go into one of the big electronic
>>> markets and get *any* computer without OS. Simply impossible
>>> in germany
>>
>> Same in the UK.
>
> Same in the US, IMO, with walk-in city stores.  Clone dealers
> have disappeared from the landscape due to cheap buys in
> department stores and on-line.
>
> One can buy white box PC's from TigerDirect.com, but they appear
> mostly to be a clearing house for other's excesses.
>
> I prefer rolling my own, have never owned a brand named PC except
> for laptops and earlier CP/M and DOS 8086, 8088 systems.
> However, I have been more satisfied by building my own, have been
> able to attain to cost effective performance.
>
> However, Windows XP is my last Windows system for now.  I see no
> advantage to going to Windows 7 (Windows Vista SP3).  I only use
> it for games.  It will still be supported for a while, as people
> aren't ready to give it up, given the economy and MS continued
> sales for netbooks.
>
> I foresee more games being ported to Linux in the near future.
> The era of Microsoft operating systems is coming to a close, just
> as the Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) came to a close.  I
> believe the future is in Linux and Unix.  Those who have lost
> financially due to compromised Windows systems are the new choir.
>  I see a new generation of Linux and Unix converts.

Ballmer said almost a decade ago that it was the #1 threat.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Actually, we have scientifically determined that Heisenberg did indeed
sleep exactly here. However, we have no idea whatsoever just how fast
asleep he was. -- Dave Aronson
roy      pts/0        :0               Fri Sep 11 14:10   still logged in