[News] New HP Machines Will Boot Linux

HP busts out fall PC lineup

,----[ Quote ]
| Both Envy machines will ship with Windows 7, by the way, and they come
| with the baby QuickWeb Linux environment that lets users open up the
| laptop and punch up a Web browser, email client, media player in a few
| seconds instead of waiting for Windows to load.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/15/hp_fall_pc_lineup/

Recent:

Eyeing Google, Splashtop partners with Yahoo for instant-on web search

,----[ Quote ]
| DeviceVM plans to release the instant search-enabled update to Splashtop to
| PC makers in August and to end users a month after that.
|
| That will beat Google, which only plans to release the source code and betas
| of Chrome OS sometime this year.
|
| For now, Splashtop remains atop the instant-on Linux market, whose other
| entrants include Phoenix Technologies Ltd.'s HyperSpace and Xandros Inc.'s
| Presto.
`----

http://www.pcworld.ca/news/article/a7bf6654c0a800060021a44ebc10d4a7/pg0.htm

Fast-boot environment moves to Moblin

,----[ Quote ]
| Phoenix Technologies announced that its fast-boot "HyperSpace" technology is
| now "aligned" with the Moblin project and that it will work with Intel to
| promote the technologies to netbook and nettop OEMs and ODMs. HyperSpace will
| improve the Linux-based Moblin stack's already considerable capabilities for
| fast-boot and power management, says Phoenix.
`----

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS2898374972.html?kc=rss

Ramdisks - Now We Are Talking Hyperspace!

,----[ Quote ]
| Ramdisks are usually spoken of in hushed tones when sysadmins get together.
| Some view them with awe because of their performance and some view them with
| skepticism and say they are only useful for creating benchmarks. Almost all
| of them agree that using them on a regular basis must be done with care
| because of the problem of losing power shuts immediately shuts down the
| ramdisk erasing the contents of the ramdisk. However, there are uses for
| ramdisks besides running benchmarks. More over there are storage devices that
| use RAM as the storage media that can reach rarefied levels of performance of
| millions of IOPS.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/cache/7388/1.html

Review: Phoenix HyperSpace

,----[ Quote ]
| When you're on the run, opportunities to hop online to check e-mail, flight
| status, or a favorite Web site tend to be infrequent and of limited duration.
| That's why, when you do get a chance to fire up your notebook, the time it
| takes to boot and load Windows can seem like an eternity.
`----

http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/biztools/article.php/3805641

Is Fast Booting A Red Herring?

,----[ Quote ]
| Flashy movies aside, though, is there a real advantage to having faster boot
| times when most of us don't shut down and reboot to begin with? And if so, is
| it worth touting as a feature on the same order as, say, support for cellular
| network connectivity?
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/02/is_fast_booting.html

Review: Phoenix Technologies HyperSpace instant-on desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| For some time now we have been talking about Splashtop, the Linux-based
| instant-on desktop that weâve seen on Asus notebooks and motherboards, as
| well as the Lenovo IdeaPad S10e and the VooDoo Envy 133. Splashtop solves the
| problem of having a bloated OS (like Vista) on a computer with limited power,
| but it currently has to come from the factory on a notebook, netbook, or
| motherboard.
`----

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/review-phoenix-technologies-hyperspace-instant-on-desktop-20090115/

The Race to Instant-On Computers Begins

,----[ Quote ]
| But rather than the oft-discussed head-to-head battle between Linux and
| Windows, weâre seeing Linux latch onto Windows almost like a parasite in a
| symbiotic relationship with its host.
|
| All of the shipping or soon-to-ship instant-on systems use a thinned-down
| version of Linux as a base for presenting the quick Internet applications.
| This makes sense because computer makers can customize Linux to boot fast and
| use the software for free, meaning they donât add much extra cost to each
| computer.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/27/the-race-to-instant-on-computers-begins/

Faster booting with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The intriguing part of all this is that we might finally get the instant-on
| capability for some pretty standard apps. The bizarre part is that the way to
| speed up your slow OS load it you actually load two different OSes. Sort of
| like running a five-kilometer race before you run your marathon. Meanwhile,
| Microsoft is now stating that similar technology could be part of Windows 7,
| presumably in 2010 and without using any of that open source voodoo.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2008/10/faster_booting.html

DeviceVM's proprietary/Linux split explained

,----[ Quote ]
| Covering Asus' adoption of DeviceVM's Splashtop software in all its
| motherboards and some laptops, we were wondering exactly which parts were
| proprietary and which were Linux - hence pulling back from calling it
| a "Linux OS".
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10008346o-2000331761b,00.htm

CES: PCs Load Apps Even Before Windows Starts

,----[ Quote ]
| HyperSpace and Windows can't run at the same time, but HyperSpace could still
| act just like new quick start options from Lenovo and Sony, which load a
| small subset of applications into a Linux-based environment for the times
| when a user doesn't need the full firepower of Windows and Windows apps.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/desktop/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=212701364&subSection=All+Stories

Related:

Phoenix HyperSpace: An Instant-On Linux Environment?

,----[ Quote ]
| Fifteen months ago we exclusively showed off SplashTop from DeviceVM, which
| was an instant-on Linux environment embedded into ASUS motherboards and since
| then it has worked its way into products from other OEMs (including
| notebooks). DeviceVM continues to work on further refining SplashTop by
| adding in virtualization support and other features, along with a promised
| developer SDK. Phoenix Technologies, the company producing the BIOSes for
| many of the motherboards on the market, is today introducing their SplashTop
| competitor. HyperSpace is the Phoenix Technologies product being unveiled
| this morning with several distinct differences from SplashTop.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=phoenix_hyperspace&num=1

Phoenix HyperSpace: Quick-Boot Your Laptop

,----[ Quote ]