[News] Archos Looks Stunning with New Linux Platform

  • Subject: [News] Archos Looks Stunning with New Linux Platform
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:11:23 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Archos 5: The Linux Internet tablet for everyone

,----[ Quote ]
| If you want to buy one, they'll be available tomorrow,
| September 16th, from Amazon and the Archos Web site. There is
| one major caveat: this second-generation Archos 5 has the same
| name as its predecessor and, just to look at it, you could
| mistake it for its immediate ancestor. If you want to buy one,
| make darn sure you're getting the new model. Prices range from
| $249.99 for the 8GB device to $439.99 for the 500GB top-end
| model.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14738/archos_5_the_linux_internet_tablet_for_everyone

Android tablet plays 720p video

,----[ Quote ]
| Archos is shipping the Android version of its media-oriented
| Archos 5 Internet Tablet. The Archos 5 runs on a Texas
| Instruments OMAP3x SoC and comes in flash (8GB to 32GB) or hard
| drive versions (160GB to 500GB), with a 4.8-inch, 800x480
| touchscreen, 720p video, GPS, WiFi, and Bluetooth, says Archos.
`----

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Archos-5-Internet-Tablet/?kc=rss

Recent:

Archos' Android Tablet Looks Imminent--and Slick

,----[ Quote ]
| That's the Android operating system running on this fairly slick looking
| ARCHOS tablet, which is concrete proof that Android is headed for more than
| just smartphones. As JKOnTheRun notes, the ARCHOS 5 Android-based Internet
| Tablet isn't scheduled to go on sale until September 15th, but online
| retailer B&H jumped the gun and has a 500GB version of it shown and listed on
| its site. The ARCHOS 5 is a 5-inch slate, and JKOnTheRun reports that at one
| time B&H listed both HDD and SSD models, with prices ranging from $294 to
| $420, depending on configuration. Those specs have since been removed.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/archos-android-tablet-looks-imminent-and-slick

Archos 10 Ubuntu with 500GB hard disk and 2GB RAM released!

,----[ Quote ]
| This is pretty awesome. Archos releases the Archos 10 Ubuntu edition, with a
| 500GB hard drive, 2GB RAM and a 6-cell battery built-in. Running Ubuntu 9.04.
| All for not much more than the Archos 10 with Windows XP, 160GB and 1GB of
| RAM: available for 375â at french retailer Surcouf.
`----

http://archosfans.com/2009/06/15/archos-10-ubuntu-with-500gb-hard-disk-and-2gb-ram-released/

Archos to announce Android device next month?

,----[ Quote ]
| So Archos will apparently be announcing something on June 11th in Paris and
| the general consensus is that itâll probably be the Internet Media Tablet
| with voice support running Android that was announced back in early February.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/05/18/archos-to-announce-android-device-next-month/

Archos intends to develop an Android Tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| Archos, the French manufacturer of multimedia tablets, has announced plans
| for a portable media device that will run Googles open source Android
| operating system. The Archos Internet Media Tablet (IMT) is to be a
| multimedia player with Smartphone capabilities.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/132455

Archos 605 WiFi Linux hack

,----[ Quote ]