[News] [Rival] Microsoft Pulls the Plug on Windows Server 2003 SPs (XP is not Supported for Security Anymore)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Pulls the Plug on Windows Server 2003 SPs (XP is not Supported for Security Anymore)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 23:35:16 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

No third service pack for Windows Server 2003

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has outlined some support changes
| coming in July 2010 for wrinkly versions of its
| Windows Server platform.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2009/09/16/windows_server_2003_no_third_service_pack/

Microsoft starts warning of support phase-out for older Windows Server releases

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3975

Firms fail to focus on most dangerous security threats

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/16/top_security_risks/

Sears told to destroy data gathered by online tracking software

,----[ Quote ]
| US retailer Sears has been ordered to destroy
| all the customer data it collected from a piece
| of online tracking software that consumer
| regulator the Federal Trade Commission (FTC)
| said was unfairly used.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/16/sears_to_destroy_tracking_software_data/

Windows-only.

Recent:

Microsoft Says No TCP/IP Patches For XP

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft says it won't patch Windows XP for a pair of bugs it quashed
| Sept. 8 in Vista, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008. The news
| adds Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) and SP3 to the no-patch list that
| previously included only Windows 2000 Server SP4. 'We're talking about code
| that is 12 to 15 years old in its origin, so backporting that level of code
| is essentially not feasible,' said security program manager Adrian Stone
| during Microsoft's monthly post-patch Webcast, referring to Windows 2000
| and XP.
`----

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/09/09/15/0131209/Microsoft-Says-No-TCPIP-Patches-For-XP

Microsoft: No TCP/IP patches for you, XP

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9138007/Microsoft_No_TCP_IP_patches_for_you_XP