[News] MAFIAA Lies on Behalf of Its Real Clients (Moguls, Not Artists)

  • Subject: [News] MAFIAA Lies on Behalf of Its Real Clients (Moguls, Not Artists)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:41:46 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

UK Music Pretends That Musicians Aren't Against Kicking People Off The Internet

,----[ Quote ]
| There were rumors that following this little dustup,
| that the UK music industry would drop its support for
| three strikes. Instead, Feargal Sharkey, the head of
| the UK Music lobbying group, has come out with a
| totally meaningless statement that basically says that
| the industry supports the government's plan and there's
| nothing to see here in terms of a rift in the views of
| the UK music industry.
|
| That's not very believable. More and more musicians
| have realized that a proposal to kick people off the
| internet does nothing to promote better business models
| and does a lot to create significantly more ill will
| with fans.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090916/1829226214.shtml

ASCAP, BMI Demanding Payment For 30 Second Previews At Web Stores

,----[ Quote ]
| It's been really stunning to see just how little
| dignity groups like ASCAP and BMI have in trying to
| suck every last penny out of any kind of musical usage,
| without ever once considering the damage they're
| actually doing to songwriters. It's as if the folks who
| run these groups have no concept of the actual impact
| of their crazy demands.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090917/0505016226.shtml

I'm Sorry, But It Was Never Just About The Music

,----[ Quote ]
| Frank Sinatra made movies to reach a bigger fan base.
| Elvis's hips and haircut were as much a part of his
| success as his recordings were. David Bowie learned
| that image and imagery could propel him to greater
| heights.  After Saturday Night Fever, dance steps
| helped propel many live shows and for a time MTV made
| being visual an important component of success.
`----

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2009/09/it-was-never-just-about-the-music.html

Recent:

Stephen Fry on copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| At an event in London last night, the writer, actor, and gadget fan Stephen
| Fry launched a surprisingly ferocious attack on the music and movie
| industries over the way they have acted to defend their copyright.
`----

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/

Richard Marx (!) attacks RIAA after $1.92M Thomas verdict

,----[ Quote ]
| Jammie Thomas-Rasset was held liable to sharing 24 songs, including one by
| pop crooner Richard Marx. But the lawsuit wasn't done in Marx's nameâthis
| week, he called out the recording industry's "greedy actions."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2009/06/richard-marx-attacks-riaa-after-19m-thomas-verdict.ars

Moby: The RIAA Needs to be Disbanded

,----[ Quote ]
| The two million dollar fine handed out to Jammie Thomas by a Minnesota jury
| this week hasnât done the music industryâs image much good. While lawyers and
| high level managers at the major labels cracked open the Champagne, artists
| such as Moby and Radiohead shook their heads in shame at what the music world
| has become.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/moby-the-riaa-needs-to-be-disbanded-090620/

Morrissey tells fans to boycott new box set reissues

,----[ Quote ]
| The former Smiths singer claimed in a statement issued to fan site
| True-to-you.net, which he often communicates through, that he wouldn't
| receive any money from the reissues, released on November 2, and that he was
| not asked for approval for their release.
`----

http://www.nme.com/news/morrissey/46616

Time for MPs to Face the Music on Sharing

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/09/time-for-mps-to-face-music-on-sharing.html