[News] FSF and Sugar (of OLPC) Join Forces

Sugar Labs and FSF announce joint efforts to promote learning platform for children

,----[ Quote ]
| Sugar Labs, nonprofit provider of the Sugar Learning
| Platform for children, and the Free Software Foundation
| (FSF), which promotes computer users' right to use,
| study, copy, modify, and redistribute computer programs,
| have announced joint efforts to collaborate and promote
| Sugar on the occasion of Software Freedom Day, September
| 19th. The FSF will host an event in Boston featuring
| Sugar Labs Executive Director Walter Bender, FSF
| president Richard Stallman, and other speakers. Peter
| Brown, FSF's executive director, said, "The Sugar
| Learning Platform is fast becoming an essential route to
| computer user freedom for children around the world. The
| international free software movement is getting behind
| Sugar, and we want to use Software Freedom Day as an
| opportunity to help draw community attention, developer
| resources, and external funders to the important work
| going on at Sugar Labs."
`----

http://www.fsf.org/news/sugar-labs

The FOSS image is important.

,----[ Quote ]
| While Linus is responsible for the development of the
| Linux kernel, Richard is responsible for almost all of
| the most important foundation on which Linux
| distributions are based on. I would say that seventy to
| eighty percent of any Linux distribution can be
| attributed to Richard Stallman and his efforts.
`----

http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/locutus/the-foss-image-is-important-34192

Recent:

New Sugar Web Interface from Paraguay Educa

,----[ Quote ]
| Love it or hate it, the Sugar Learning Platform graphical user interface is
| strikingly different from any of the usual windowing desktops. With this
| radical departure from the norm, we've seen much discussion. And while my
| favorite interpretation is Aquatic Sugar, the new website from Paraguay Educa
| comes in a close second...
`----

http://www.olpcnews.com/countries/paraguay/new_sugar_web_interface_from_p.html

Inventing a New Paradigm: SugarLabs and the Sugar UI

,----[ Quote ]
| To say that the technology industry moves quickly would be understated. Firms
| must innovate, adapt and grow, or fail. Two years ago when One Laptop per
| Child began shipping their XO-1 laptop, they defined an industry. People were
| excited not for OLPCâs mission, which always seemed to be a footnote, but for
| a diminutive inexpensive laptop. Often, the laptop was stated to include a
| custom distribution of Linux called Sugar that was built to help kids learn.
| But Sugar is more than just a Linux distro.
`----

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2009/08/inventing-a-new-paradigm-sugarlabs-and-the-sugar-ui/

Sugar on a Stick brings sweet taste of Linux to classrooms

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2009/06/sugar-on-a-stick-brings-sweet-taste-of-linux-to-classrooms.ars