[News] GNU/Linux Games: A Look at Quake Live, NAEV, Shadowgrounds Survivor Arrives

  • Subject: [News] GNU/Linux Games: A Look at Quake Live, NAEV, Shadowgrounds Survivor Arrives
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 08:13:31 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Quake Live - Redefining the online gaming

,----[ Quote ]
| Quake Live is great fun. It's a tremendous invention, game
| quality and graphics notwithstanding. What more, it looks
| well, it plays well. You get reasonable graphics, lots of
| fast-paced killing action, for free, inside your browser, on
| any operating system. It's a dream come true!
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/games/quake-live.html

NAEV 0.4.0 review

,----[ Quote ]
| NAEV 0.4.0 is out, a game of the space trading and combat
| simulator genre, inspired by the non-free Escape Velocity.
| Win32/lin32/lin64/mac binaries are available here.
`----

http://freegamer.blogspot.com/2009/09/naev-040-review.html

Shadowgrounds Survivor and demos released

,----[ Quote ]
| LGP announced the release of Shadowgrounds Survivor, a
| third-person/top-down alien-invasion action game:
|
|    As promised! Shadowgrounds Survivor is now available.
|    Weâve had reports that some people have neglected sleep
|    playing Shadowgrounds for the last two days, and are
|    close to completion. We ask you please to sleep at least
|    once before starting Survivor, yes we know the game is
|    good, but, we donât want anyone dying from too much
|    Shadowgrounds goodness!
`----

http://www.linuxgames.com/archives/14174

Recent:

Quake Live Updated to Support Linux and Mac Users

,----[ Quote ]
| During the QuakeCon 2009 press conference, id President Todd Hollenshead
| announced what many non-Windows computer users had been asking about for
| months. Quake Live, id software's browser based shooter, would be adding
| support for Linux and Macintosh operating system users.
`----

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175567

Open source alternative to browser-based shooter Quake Live

,----[ Quote ]
| The developers behind open source shooter Open Arena have released an initial
| test version of the browser-based version, Arena Live. Arena Live aims to
| emulate Quake Live, a free to use, professionally produced version of Quake 3
| Arena from id Software that's financed by advertising. While Quake Live
| currently only runs on Windows-based systems (with Mac OS X and Linux support
| reportedly coming soon), Arena Live runs in Mozilla's Firefox web browser on
| Linux platforms and will probably be ported to other operating systems in the
| future.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/141640

Quake Live at 1Ghz, 256Mb

,----[ Quote ]
| Thatâs Crux, by the way. I expected laggy performance and skipping graphics.
| But framerates are exceptionally good, although I didnât find a way to show a
| number on screen. Iâm not a huge first-person shooter fan, but itâs fun to
| try out.
`----

http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2009/08/20/quake-live-at-1ghz-256mb/

Shadowgrounds Survivor from Igios is now GOLD !

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2596