[News] OLPC Deployed in Nigeria with GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] OLPC Deployed in Nigeria with GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 08:48:55 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

A new OLPC deployment in Nigeria

,----[ Quote ]
| Earlier this month, I found myself embarking on a last-minute
| journey to a One Laptop per Child workshop in Port Harcourt,
| Nigeria. They are preparing for a 6000 XO laptop deployment in
| that region of the country. I attended to support the 5-day
| event, which was coordinated by Michael Tempel and Claudia
| Urrea.
`----

http://www.reactivated.net/weblog/archives/2009/09/a-new-olpc-deployment-in-nigeria/

This kind of Sugar is actually *good* for kidsâ Put an OLPC in your pocket with Sugar on a Stick.

,----[ Quote ]
| A buddy of mine purchased an OLPC when they were first
| released. He wasnât impressed with it, but I canât say the
| sameâ Sugar on a Stick runs great on my old Eee PC 900, and is
| a lot more intuitive than youâd think, even for a grup!
`----

http://acurrie.wordpress.com/2009/09/20/this-kind-of-sugar-is-actually-good-for-kids-put-an-olpc-in-your-pocket-with-sugar-on-a-stick/

Recent:

Founder of One Laptop Per Child Responds

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.undispatch.com/node/8867

Founder of One Laptop Per Child Responds

,----[ Quote ]
| Anyway. I do not normally answer press and blogs, because we would spend
| all our time with words, not actions in the field But you are on a UN
| site and the UN is our partner. Check out Kofi Annanâs words -- they
| have been fulfilled. Has it been harder than I expected? Yes. But do you
| know why? It is not due to what I had anticipated, things like
| corruption and logistics. It has been due to commercial interests and
| press, stories like yours.
|
| As a small non-profit, humanitarian organization, it is hard to battle
| giants who view children as a market, not a mission, and have other
| agendas. In spite of all that, the change is huge. I no longer hear
| people arguing against âone laptop per childâ as a concept. The issue is
| purely a matter of funding and there are many ways to do that. Wait and
| see.
`----

http://www.undispatch.com/node/8867

Free laptops for students

,----[ Quote ]
| Under this program, 1,250 laptop computers will be distributed to
| students in 13 schools.
`----

http://www.dailynews.lk/2009/09/11/news20.asp

In Defense of OLPC and the XO Laptop