[News] Free Software Has Won by Getting Used Widely

  • Subject: [News] Free Software Has Won by Getting Used Widely
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 08:50:07 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Source: The War Is Over

,----[ Quote ]
| But so what? The war is over. Open Source won. The whole IT
| industry now depends on a vast amount of Open Source code and
| many key Open Source projects.
`----

http://havemacwillblog.com/2009/09/18/open-source-the-war-is-over/

Recent:

Recession and the Victory of FOSS

,----[ Quote ]
| The interesting side effect of that was the sudden realizations by these
| companies and individuals such as âWow, FOSS is actually better!â or âWow,
| and we get all this for free?â  And what's even more interesting is how not
| only are these companies not going back to previous proprietary solutions,
| they're actually telling their friends and fellow businesses about FOSS.
|
| And all it took was a simple recession to finally give FOSS and Linux the
| kick in the pants it needed.  And if you don't believe me, look at how
| Microsoft is taking hit after hit after hit against it's empire.  If we were
| in an economic boom, that wouldn't be happening.  But since we're not, it is.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/articles/recession_and_the_victory_of_foss/

If open source has won, then where do we go from here?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2009/05/28/if-open-source-has-won-then-where-do-we-go-from-here/