[News] Phones with Free Software and Linux Make Gains

  • Subject: [News] Phones with Free Software and Linux Make Gains
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 10:07:27 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Open Source in Mobile - Part I

,----[ Quote ]
| I attended OSiM in Amsterdam for a day (had to be back
| to China the next day) and it was quite an interesting
| and diverse crowd attending and/or speaking - hard core
| open sourcers along with big fat OEMs trying to
| leverage open source to make the most of it. In the
| first Open Source in Mobile blog, I'll make an overview
| of alternatives for building devices using open source
| software. Apart from Windows Mobile, all software
| stacks being used in Smartphones are now open sources.
`----

http://wireless.sys-con.com/node/1114768/print

Android Heading in More New Directions

,----[ Quote ]
| What will advanced Android-based smartphones look like
| a year from now, and what will be under the hood?
| Motorola would have you believe that they'll place very
| heavy emphasis on unified social networking features.
| Archos has its eyes on tablets that double as
| smartphones, with advanced video capabilities. China
| Mobile and others believe that Android will work best
| in forked, unique versions.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/android-heading-in-more-new-directions

Hands-on with Palm's Pixi webOS smartphone [review]

,----[ Quote ]
| And you know what? It just might do it. The Pixi is
| lightweight, comes in colorful cases (as seen in the
| photos) and is devoid of anything that sniffs of
| business. In this situation, webOS serves as the
| ultimate contact integration engine, and gets the job
| done with color and flair.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=7652

Recent:

Palm Pre: Top-notch smartphone, despite some hardware gaps

,----[ Quote ]
| Pre wins a lot of points for style. The black, shiny and
| uniform exterior looks great and the device is slight enough to
| fit easily in your pocket and in the palm of your hand. Its
| curved edges and simple design â there's only one visible
| button when the keyboard is closed â make it approachable. It's
| a phone you'll want to hold.
`----

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/news.asp?id=54557

Palm dumps Windows Mobile