[News] Kernel News from LinuxCon, X Server 1.7 Hits RC2

  • Subject: [News] Kernel News from LinuxCon, X Server 1.7 Hits RC2
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 22:55:16 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Linux Buffs Get Eyeful at LinuxCon Tech Showcase

,----[ Quote ]
| Attendees at the sold-out LinuxCon event in Portland got to
| take a close-up look at some of the latest Linux
| technologies touted by participating companies. Companies
| displaying their wares at the showcase included powerhouses
| like IBM, HP, Oracle and Novell, along with scrappier Linux
| players such as Wind River, Hooduku and PogoLinux.
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/68177.html?wlc=1253621207&wlc=1253653155&wlc=1253653143

LinuxCon Roundtable in Torvalds Quotes

,----[ Quote ]
| On motivation throughout his history with Linux:
|
| âIt has changed a lot over the years. It started out being
| all about the technology, and all about just really
| twiddling with the hardware and just learning and just
| doing something cool and sitting in my basement. It wasnât
| my basement at the time, it was my motherâs basement
| [everyone laughs]. But really being low level and doing the
| programming. That eventually faded and then it become
| somewhat about the community and the fame, hey that was
| great. But also new problems that I hadnât had before. The
| SMP work, many years ago, that other people started and I
| kinda took over, continued to motivated me.â
`----

http://www.tuxradar.com/content/linuxcon-rountable-torvalds-quotes

Why Linux succeeds while other open source projects fail

,----[ Quote ]
| That's where open source can also help for adoption. If a
| project, like Linux does become successful, it provides
| more incentive for users to use the application as a way of
| future proofing their technology investment.
|
| Hohndel noted that when IBM decided to discontinue its OS/2
| operating system, there were many enterprises (including a
| German Bank that he was working for) that were left
| hanging.
| "Open source means that will never happen to you," Hohndel
| said.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/09/why-linux-succeeds-while-other.html

X Server 1.7 Release Candidate 2

,----[ Quote ]
| The change-log along with source download links for this
| X.Org 7.5 server can be found on the X.Org mailing list.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzU0OA

Recent:

LinuxCon: Linux By The Numbers

,----[ Quote ]
| Zemlin greeted the 600-plus crowd of attendees at the
| conference with a high degree of excitement, pleased to
| note the strength of the event and the promise that it
| should bring to the Linux development, user, and
| business community.
`----

http://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/biz-enterprise/66882:linuxcon-linux-by-the-numbers

Fake Linus Torvalds Revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| # FLT2: Matt Asay, CNET open source blogger and VP of
| business development at Alfresco
| # FLT3: Joe "Zonker" Brockmeier, former reporter and
| currently community manager for openSUSE
| # FLT4: Jono Bacon, Community Manager, Ubuntu
`----

http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/blog-entry/fake-linus-torvalds-revealed

LinuxCon: Roundtable â The Linux Kernel: Straight from the Source (liveblog)

,----[ Quote ]
| Will next year be the year of the Linux desktop?
| * Ted: âNext year will be the year of the Linux desktop
| because ânext yearâ is always the year of the Linux
| desktop.â
`----

http://jeremy.linuxquestions.org/2009/09/21/linuxcon-roundtable-the-linux-kernel-straight-from-the-source-liveblog/

Watch LinuxCon Live From Your Computer Next Week

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxCon is only a week away, and the brand new conference
| looks like it will be one of the best open source events of
| the year. The conference kicks off Monday, September 21st in
| Portland, Oregon, and there is a roster of excellent
| speakers, ranging from Linus Torvalds to Canonical's Mark
| Shuttleworth to Bob Sutor from IBM. Not everybody can make
| it to Portland, though, which is why it's great news that
| there will be opportunities to view all events via live and
| archived video streams. Some sessions are free, while others
| aren't. Here are the details.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/watch-linuxcon-live-from-your-computer-next-week

LinuxCon Keynote Series: An Interview with IBMâs Bob Sutor

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: What are you most looking forward to at the debut year of
| LinuxCon?
|
| A: I always try to get an early sense of the vibe of a conference.
| Is there excitement among the participants? Are people looking
| forward to creating more technical innovation and greater business
| growth? Is the community expanding? Are there grand challenges that
| developers are ready to leap into? I think Iâll see, hear, and feel
| all that at LinuxCon. Iâm also looking to meet in person many of
| the people involved with the Linux Foundation.
`----

http://www.linux-foundation.org/weblogs/amanda/2009/09/14/linuxcon-keynote-series-an-interview-with-ibms-bob-sutor/

LinuxCon announces speakers

,----[ Quote ]