[News] K Desktop Environment 4.4 Shows New Features

  • Subject: [News] K Desktop Environment 4.4 Shows New Features
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 22:58:34 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Plasma 4.4: Update on where we are

,----[ Quote ]
| Back in July, I blogged about our plans for Plasma in 4.4.
| It's now September and the obvious question is: where are
| we now?
|
| * Improve kiosk based lock down and deployment management:
| there is the new plasma-desktop scripting support, but
| action restrictions and more fine grained kiosk controls
| are not yet done. Let's call this one 50% done.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2009/09/plasma-44-update-on-where-we-are.html

Replacing KDE applications

,----[ Quote ]
| It feels like I just did this, even though Iâve been
| running Linux as my primary OS since around 2002. When I
| decided to stop using KDE recently, I was surprised to find
| how many KDE applications on which I had become dependent,
| and how little idea I had what to use as alternatives. Some
| of them are little and therefore easily replaced, but
| others that are more full-featured have been quite a
| challenge. Hereâs a sampling of the ones Iâve been working
| on lately.
`----

http://linuxcritic.wordpress.com/2009/09/22/replacing-kde-applications/

Recent:

Five Improvements For KDE 4.4

,----[ Quote ]
| KDE 4.3 is a great desktop, but there are improvements I think should be made
| to make it perfect. I have high hopes for KDE 4.4 and Iâm hoping some of
| these ideas will be considered for the next release, which will probably be
| due in January. Iâll definitely make sure to submit them to the KDE team for
| consideration, as you should too if you have any suggestions. With all that
| out of the way, letâs get started.
`----

http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=784

Plasma in KDE 4.4