[News] A Quick Look at the Desktop Sidebar in GNOME 3

  • Subject: [News] A Quick Look at the Desktop Sidebar in GNOME 3
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 15:42:30 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

A Quick Look At Gnome 3âs Desktop Sidebar

,----[ Quote ]
| The sidebar is disabled by default in current builds of Gnome-
| Shell (Gnome 3âs new interface) and i think there may be a
| reason for that: Itâs borderline pointless. By the time it
| takes to shuffle your mouse over to the sidebar you could
| nudge it up to the top left and get a greater variety of
| options and files.
`----

http://d0od.blogspot.com/2009/09/gnome-3s-sidebar.html

Azenis Theme Pack For GNOME

,----[ Quote ]
| Every now and then I run across a GTK theme that takes my
| breath away. Yesterday I happened upon the Azenis theme while
| browsing GNOME Look. I took a quick glance at it and then
| bookmarked it because I was a bit busy. Today I went back and
| downloaded all of the theme components. And, just as I
| expected, it took my breath away.
`----

http://ardchoille42.blogspot.com/2009/09/azenis-theme-pack-for-gnome.html

Gnome Wallpaper Rotate Script

http://www.scottscreations.com/2009/09/22/gnome-wallpaper-rotate-script/

Recent:

Gnome 3 â A Quick Visual Tour

,----[ Quote ]
| Gnome 3, which will be available to install in Ubuntu
| 10.04, will mark the first radical change to the Gnome
| Desktop since it's inception, thanks to itâs ânewâ
| interface âGnome-Shellâ.
`----

http://d0od.blogspot.com/2009/09/gnome-3-quick-visual-tour.html

The path to GNOME 3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| GNOME â the FOSS desktop for Linux and Unix â is currently
| at version 2.26. The next release will be 2.28, leading
| towards the next major release, version 3.0, which if
| everything goes well should be released in the spring of
| 2010. Our associates in Germany, heise open, recently had
| the opportunity to interview GNOME release manager Vincent
| Untz about the project. Untz reveals the projects future
| plans for the GNOME desktop and talks about the User
| Interface, the new window manager Mutter, the GNOME Shell,
| Zeitgeist and GNOME Mobile.
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/The-path-to-GNOME-3-0--/features/114277

Shuttleworth about GNOME 3.0 - What's good, what's missing, what needs work

,----[ Quote ]
| Sees good possibility of having a common meta-release cycle with Debian - Not
| sure if GNOME3 will make the next LTS
|
| In the last few years Ubuntu has emerged as the dominant force in the Linux
| Deskop field. The distribution is heavily associated with one name: Mark
| Shuttleworth is not only founder an current boss of Canonical, the company
| behind Ubuntu, he has also been providing the financial resources without
| which Ubuntu in its current form would not exist. During the recent Gran
| Canaria Desktop Summit Andreas Proschofsky had the chance to conduct the
| following interview with Shuttleworth.
`----

http://derstandard.at/fs/1246541995003/Interview-Shuttleworth-about-GNOME-30---Whats-good-whats-missing-what-needs-work

Shuttleworth hints at later Ubuntu LTS

,----[ Quote ]
| The expectation was that the next LTS version would be 10.04, due for release
| in April 2010, but in an interview with derStandard.at, Shuttleworth
| says "The LTS will be either 10.04 or 10.10 - based on a conversation that is
| going on right now betweeen Debian and Ubuntu".
`----

http://www.h-online.com/open/Shuttleworth-hints-at-later-Ubuntu-LTS--/news/113746

Gnome sets sights on 2010 for 3.0 release

,----[ Quote ]
| With Gnome 2.26 safely out the door the Gnome development team is now
| planning for Gnome 3.0, a release it expects to make in March next year.
| Responding to growing criticism that the Gnome project lacks vision the team
| says that the 3.0 milestone release will have to have âbig user-visible
| changesâ.
|
| âIf you look closely at our community, itâd be wrong to say that people are
| lacking a vision; but the project as a whole does indeed have this issue,â
| the team said in its public posting. With this in mind the team is looking at
| a release that will both streamline the desktop as well as revamp the overall
| user experience by giving users new ways of interacting with their desktop
| and managing files.
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=4591

GNOME plans for run up to 3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| A roadmap for the immediate future of GNOME desktop has been published on the
| GNOME Live site. The roadmap charts the planned progress of the Linux and
| Unix desktop from its recently released 2.26 version and the 2.26.1 update
| due in April, through a GNOME 2.28.0 release in September to a GNOME 2.30.0,
| which will be renumbered as 3.0.0 when released in March 2010.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/135741

Planning for GNOME 3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| During the first few months of 2008, a few Release Team members discussed
| here and there about the state of GNOME. This was nothing official, and it
| could actually have been considered as some friends talking together about
| things they deeply care about. There were thoughts that GNOME could stay with
| the 2.x branch for a very long time given our solid development methods, but
| that it was not the future that our community wants to see happening. Because
| of lack of excitement. Because of lack of vision. Slowly, a plan started to
| emerge. It evolved, changed, was trimmed a bit, made more solid. We started
| discussing with a few more people, got more feedback. And then, at GUADEC,
| the Release Team proposed an initial plan to the community that would lead
| the project to GNOME 3.0. Quite some time passed; actually, too much time
| passed because too many people were busy with other things. But it's never
| too late to do the right thing, so let's really be serious about GNOME 3.0 \
| now!
`----

http://live.gnome.org/ThreePointZero/Plan

5 Useful Desktop Managers for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Today Iâm going to write about some of the most useful alternative desktop
| managers you should consider using on your operating system. To start off I
| have
|
| Xfce
|
| Xfce is a fast and a light desktop environment for unix like operating
| systems. It is specially desgined to improve your work productivity. It has
| the ability to load and execute applications really fast while conserving
| system resources.
|
| [...]
|
| LXDE
|
| Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment is an extremely faster, performing and
| energy saving desktop environment.
`----

http://techcityinc.com/2009/04/5-useful-desktop-managers-for-linux/

Gnome 3 mockup screenshots

http://linuxpoison.blogspot.com/2008/12/gnome-3-mockup-screenshots.html

Related:

Plans for Gtk+/GNOME 3.0 surfaced

,----[ Quote ]
| At the GNOME conference GUADEC plans were presented how the transition to the
| new Gtk and GNOME is supposed to happen. The basic idea is to make the
| transition as smooth as possible by first cleaning up everything and
| introducing new concepts later on.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/07/10/plans-for-gtkgnome-30-surfaced/

GTK+ 3.0: Getting serious.