Re: Microsoft CTO on Competing with GNU/Linux (Comes vs. Microsoft - exhibit PX06482)

____/ Homer on Wednesday 23 Sep 2009 19:44 : \____

> Verily I say unto thee, that Rex Ballard spake thusly:
>
>> This group has to deal with statements made by Microsoft's top
>> executives, which aren't significantly different from those made by
>> people like Moshe.  The statements are factually accurate, and
>> misleading at the same time.
>
> Yes because they state the current de facto conditions, but conveniently
> forget to explain those conditions are actually a result of Microsoft's
> racketeering. This started with things like Microsoft inserting fake
> error messages into Windows 3.1 to discourage people from using DR-DOS:
>
> [quote]
> Microsoft had several methods of detecting and sabotaging the use of
> DR-DOS with Windows, one incorporated into "Bambi", the code name that
> Microsoft used for its disk cache utility (SMARTDRV) that detected
> DR-DOS and refused to load it for Windows 3.1. The AARD code trickery is
> well-known, but Caldera is now pursuing four other deliberate
> incompatibilities. One of them was a version check in XMS in the Windows
> 3.1 setup program which produced the message: "The XMS driver you have
> installed is not compatible with Windows. You must remove it before
> setup can successfully install Windows." Of course there was no reason
> for this.
> [/quote]
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/1999/11/05/how_ms_played_the_incompatibility
>
> ... and culminated with the current catch-22 situation, where the
> Windows platform's illicitly-acquired domination (via the aforementioned
> sabotage, and other criminal behaviour) forces OEM's to capitulate with
> Microsoft's thuggish demands to largely ignore competing platforms - or
> face dire financial consequences through a sort of private embargo system.
>
> IOW Microsoft's illicitly-acquired position of dominance is now
> self-sustaining (although that doesn't prevent them from "boosting" it
> with yet more sabotage, threats or FUD, whenever some new "threat" to
> that dominance appears).
>
> [quote]
> Gateway also faulted another provision of the new licensing agreement,
> which requires PC makers to pay a Windows royalty on every PC shipped,
> even if it didn't include Windows. To top it off, to qualify for market
> development funds, PC makers have to put a Microsoft OS on every PC. As
> a result, trying to sell non-Windows PCs, or even PCs without software,
> is a financial loser for computer makers.
> [/quote]
>
> http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-868413.html
>
> Even if we ignore Microsoft's current anticompetitive behaviour (for
> which they are in a constant state of investigation and prosecution),
> should the fact that an illicitly-acquired position of dominance no
> longer absolutely /requires/ bolstering with criminal methods (because
> it's become self-sustaining through sheer ubiquity), mean that position
> is now somehow ethical, justifiable, and acceptable?

> [...]

"Behind every great fortune there is a crime."

	--Honor de Balzac

That's why so many of the world's elites fancy secrecy.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

Fachbegriffe der Informatik, Putzfrau: Nicht absichtlich bÃsartig
handelnde Person ohne Entscheidungsgewalt -- Bodo Eggert
roy      pts/0        :0               Thu Sep 24 08:24   still logged in