[News] IBM Pressured to Bring GNU/Linux to Desktops in the West

  • Subject: [News] IBM Pressured to Bring GNU/Linux to Desktops in the West
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:58:39 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

IBM markets Linux to Africa. Why not the U.S?

,----[ Quote ]
| Personally I think both IBM and Canonical are moving far
| too slow and aren't thinking big enough. While I
| understand that it can take time to develop marketing and
| support services, the partners have had more than a year
| to put this together.
|
| While I understand that Africa might be an easier entry
| point for the Linux notebook, the global recession is
| affecting every nation. The need for low cost, standards
| based solutions that IBM and Ubuntu are proposing for
| Africa is needed in every corner of the world.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2009/09/ibm-markets-linux-netbook-for.html

IBM, Canonical and Partners Launch Cloud- and Linux-based Netbook Software in Africa

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/28457.wss

Bob Sutor - Here are your "Dead Ends"

,----[ Quote ]
| Wake up man...Desktop Linux IS important and viable...you
| just can't make any money from it. So a rag-tag bunch of
| people who care do the work, at least part of it, that you
| should be doing. In my opinion anyway.
|
| Hey! I have an idea! Why don't you guys take some of that
| profit (fully tax deductable of course) and help me get
| these 500 + computers connected to the Internet so those
| kids can compete and grow.
|
| Oh never mind...I forgot who I was talking to for a
| second...
|
| Silly me.
`----

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2009/09/bob-sutor-here-are-your-dead-ends.html

Recent:

IBM and Canonical partner on software package for Africa

,----[ Quote ]
| The Wall Street Journal broke the story this morning of a
| partnership between IBM and Canonical to provide a software
| package for users of netbooks and other thin clients in
| Africa. The package, which can be configured in several ways
| to provide both netbook-based and cloud-based software, is
| expected to drive new business for local partners by taking
| advantage of open standards, file sharing, email, and social
| network capabilities.
`----

http://www.sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=4288

IBM Markets Wares to Africa