[News] [Rival] Microsoft Betrays Moonlight (and Shows It Lies All Along About a Port)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Betrays Moonlight (and Shows It Lies All Along About a Port)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:59:50 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

That's one way to get Silverlight on a mobile device: Port it to Moblin Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Update: Microsoft isnât offering a whole lot of
| particulars about how Silverlight is being moved onto
| Moblin, other than reconfirming the effort uses neither
| Moonlight nor Mono. From a spokesperson:
|
|     âMicrosoft plans to make a porting kit available to
|     OEMs that will enable them to port Silverlight to
|     their Moblin-based devices. Microsoft will provide
|     Intel with Silverlight source code and test suites,
|     and Intel will provide Microsoft with an optimized
|     version of Silverlight for Moblin devices that
|     Microsoft can then redistribute to OEMs. So when
|     you get a device with Moblin, it will come with
|     Silverlight.â
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=4051

Microsoft and Intel port Silverlight to Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel and Microsoft have announced a new port of
| Silverlight to Linux, specifically for the Intel-
| sponsored Moblin operating system running on Atom-
| powered devices such as netbooks. The port enables
| Intel to include Silverlight as a supported runtime in
| the Atom Developer Program, which will feed an iPhone-
| like App Store.
|
| Microsoft has already provided Intel with Silverlight
| source code and test suites. Intel will build an
| optimized Moblin version of Silverlight, which
| Microsoft will supply to OEMs.
|
| There are a couple of surprising aspects to the
| announcement. One is that a Linux implementation of
| Silverlight already exists, the open source Moonlight
| project. We asked Microsoftâs Brian Goldfarb, director
| of the Developer Platform Group, why Moonlight was not
| being used for Atom devices. Goldfarb replied by making
| a distinction between "broad Linux," which is targeted
| by Moonlight, and specific Linux-based devices where
| Microsoft might support other implementations.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/24/silverlight_to_linux/

Recent:

Banshee UI to be in Moonlight