[News] World Day Against Software Patents is Today, Just in Time for Meeting of "IP" Sceptics

  • Subject: [News] World Day Against Software Patents is Today, Just in Time for Meeting of "IP" Sceptics
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 00:00:26 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

EU bodies to discuss IP barriers to innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| A meeting of members of the European Commission and
| Council of Ministers will today and tomorrow discuss
| whether the European Union's intellectual property laws
| are holding back the region's competitiveness.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/24/eu_ip_innovation/

Chamber Of Commerce Gets Basic Stats Backwards, Calls For Stronger US Patent Protection For No Good Reason

,----[ Quote ]
| David Levine points us to an analysis by Kevin Smith (not
| the movie maker) at Duke University of a recent report
| from the World Economic Forum, placing the US as 19th in
| how strong our intellectual property laws are. This report
| caused the US Chamber of Commerce to say it's evidence
| that the US needs stronger IP laws. Yet, Smith points out
| how silly this analysis is. First, being 19th out of 133
| is already pretty damn near the top of the list. Second,
| the way the WEF ranked the strength of IP systems was
| based entirely on "executive perceptions" of IP laws in
| certain countries -- hardly a definitive measure. But,
| most important, the report shows nothing of the actual
| impact on innovation.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20090921/0159496259.shtml

September 24 is World Day Against Software Patents

http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/

Related:

Sept 24 Is World Day Against Software Patents

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/08/09/23/2228237.shtml