[News] CNET/Silicon.com/ZDNet Jointly Spread Anti-Free Software FUD

  • Subject: [News] CNET/Silicon.com/ZDNet Jointly Spread Anti-Free Software FUD
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 00:03:24 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Murphy's Law: Sometimes, an Open-Source Virus is Just a Virus

,----[ Quote ]
| If you think about the actual definition of open-source
| for a moment, you'll wind up being as confused as I am
| about this latest bit of fad reporting to pass around the
| Web. According to an article from CNET, virus-makers are
| apparently transforming their wares into open-source
| projects and using the power of the group to achieve
| advancements in virus deployment, nasty features, and
| scanner obfuscation.
|
| That's all well and good (for the virus-makers), but
| that's as open-source a situation as an apple is an
| orange. What's being described is an example of
| collaboration and communication based around a common or
| to-be developed piece of code. That sounds like open-
| source--an apple and an orange are both pieces of fruit,
| after all. But that's not really open-source because we're
| ignoring the critical elements that help define what open-
| source software truly is. Virus-makers aren't going open-
| source in the slightest. They're spinning derivative works
| from older viruses and developing free code while holding
| hands and singing the Pirates of the Caribbean song, but
| that's it. And it's hardly a new fad.
`----

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/web_exclusive/murphys_law_sometimes_opensource_virus_just_virus-391

Recent:

Are you ready to Protest?

,----[ Quote ]
| Contact the people at Best Buy and Office Depot.  I mean think about it anyone can sit
| in front of a keyboard and type something that exposes the obvious falsehoods!  And what
| will happen? That depends on how many individuals actually choose to participate in
| letting these businesses know that this practice is unacceptable and that you will be
| taking your business elsewhere.
|
| And I will even make it easy for you by providing you with a link to the page that you
| need.
|
| Complain to Office Depot
|
| Complain to Best Buy
|
| And feel free to post your complaint to Best Buy in your comments this will encourage
| more Linux users to get on board and send in a complaint.  And pass this on.
`----

http://linusearch.com/wordpress/?p=455

Software Freedom Day at Best Buy

,----[ Quote ]
| Hello and welcome. Microsoft has begun to train Best Buy associates on the
| virtues of Windows 7 over GNU/Linux for netbooks.
|
| Since Software Freedom Day is on September 19th, 2009(2 weeks away), Best
| Buy seems like a great place to hand out CDs and flyers encouraging people
| to try GNU/Linux on their laptops and desktops before they buy. In the
| coming days, we'll be putting up resources to help you at your local Best
| Buy to make this project a huge success!
`----

http://trygnulinux.com/sfd09/wiki/doku.php

Does Microsoft Deliver Anti-Linux Rhetoric to Best Buy Workers

http://ostatic.com/blog/does-microsoft-deliver-anti-linux-rhetoric-to-
best-buy-workers

Microsoft tells US retailers Linux is rubbish

,----[ Quote ]
| One booklet shared with our Office Depot salesman includes a page that
| looks like this...
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/09/ms_linux_pitch/

Microsoft bribes Best Buy staff to slam Mac and Linux

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1532852/microsoft-bribes-best-buy-staff-slam-mac-linux

Microsoft Targets Linux (and Macs) with Latest Chart-Based Propaganda

http://lifehacker.com/5355556/microsoft-targets-linux-and-macs-with-latest-chart+based-propaganda

Microsoft's latest Linux lies

,----[ Quote ]
| "If you can't beat 'em, cheat" has long been Microsoft's philosophy,
| which has lead to the Department of Justice and the European Union
| swatting them with restrictions and hundreds of millions of dollars in
| fines over the years. But that hasn't stopped them. In our latest
| example, an anonymous blogger who goes by GodofGrunts at OverClock.net,
| a site for people who want the fastest possible PCs, reports on his
| Microsoft ExpertZone training at Best Buy. What he 'learned' from
| Microsoft isn't 'exactly' true.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft also claims you can't use video chat on desktop Linux. Yet I
| use Ekiga and Skype for video chat on Linux all the time.
|
| Then there are the "Get the FUD" â er, "Get the Facts Straight" slides,
| which serve as a reminder that Microsoft's Get the Facts anti-Linux
| campaign (2004-2007) actually lives on.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14687/microsofts_latest_linux_lies

Microsoft internal slideshow for retailers targets Linux

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/09/07/microsoft-internal-slideshow-for-retailers-targets-linux

Microsoft mis-educates Best Buy on Linux

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-10346669-62.html

Microsoft Instructs Best Buy Employees on How to Trash Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| It goes on to list tables with "Camera, iPod, and MP3 compatibility"
| and "Printers and scanners compatibility" being described as "many" for
| Windows and "few" for Linux.  It also lists an ambiguous "Authorized
| Support" which it claims Linux is lacking, ignoring the fact that many
| Linux distributions do have support teams.  It also mentions that Linux
| users can't play games like "World of Warcraft", which Windows users
| can.  Ironically, Linux users can in fact use WoW within the free WINE.
`----

http://www.dailytech.com/Microsoft+Instructs+Best+Buy+Employees+on+How+to+Trash+Linux/article16195.htm

Microsoft teaches Best Buy employees how to troll Linux users

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft training material for Best Buy employeesâwhich not only makes
| Linux look bad, but is also full of inaccuraciesâhas leaked to the Web.
| Screenshots and commentary inside.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/09/microsoft-teaches-best-buy-employees-how-to-troll-linux-users.ars

Microsoft helps Best Buy employees troll Mac users, too

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/09/microsoft-helps-best-buy-employees-troll-mac-users-too.ars?utm_source=microblogging&utm_medium=arstch&utm_term=One MicrosoftWay&utm_campaign=microblogging