[News] A Look Ahead at Desktop GNU/Linux (Specifically Ubuntu Lucid Lynx)

  • Subject: [News] A Look Ahead at Desktop GNU/Linux (Specifically Ubuntu Lucid Lynx)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:46:14 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Ubuntu Lucid about future

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical head and Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth
| said over the past weekend that the Lucid Lynx, or
| Ubuntu 10.04, desktop would still be based on the Gnome
| 2 desktop environment and that the release following
| Lucid Lynx would use the Gnome 3.0 desktop.
`----

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Software/9741.html

Women and Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| How to achieve that goal is a pretty complex question,
| and Iâm not qualified to give a good answer.  A blog
| post by Elizabeth Krumbach of Ubuntu Women offers some
| good suggestions for raising the profile of female
| contributors to Ubuntu, but none of those suggestions
| has yet been acted upon, as far as I know.
| Nonetheless, this is an issue that canât be ignored if
| bug #1 is truly to be eliminated.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/09/24/women-and-ubuntu/

Recent:

Canonical Offers Preview Of Ubuntu Karmic Koala

,----[ Quote ]
| Canonical has come up with the final alpha iteration of its
| signature Ubuntu Karmic Koala operating system, which is
| poised to be available to general users in the next month.
|
| The company has introduced a couple of handy changes in the
| last alpha of the OS, with the most notable being the
| exclusion of the erstwhile boot splash screen. Instead, the
| new version includes an X-based splash screen to offer
| enhanced booting speeds.
`----

http://www.itproportal.com/portal/news/article/2009/9/21/canonical-offers-preview-ubuntu-karmic-koala/

Ubuntu 10.04: A Closer Look

,----[ Quote ]
| Lucid Lynxâs release date is almost seven months in the
| future.  Solid blueprints for its development have yet to
| materialize, as Canonical remains focused on delivering Karmic
| next month.  But the goals expressed for the release by
| Shuttleworth appear well reasoned, neither too ambitious nor
| lackluster.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/09/22/ubuntu-1004-a-closer-look/

Ubuntu Server Edition 10.04 Lucid Lynx: Canonicalâs ISV Priorities

,----[ Quote ]
| Since Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) is a Long Term Support
| (LTS) release, he expects the April 2010 offering to
| attract some new ISVs. Without making any firm promises
| or announcements, Pugh added that Canonical continues
| to work to bring ISVs like Oracle into the Ubuntu
| world. Pugh also cautioned readers not to focus on any
| one ISV, since Canonical is speaking with multiple
| potential partners.
`----

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/09/21/ubuntu-server-edition-1004-lucid-lynx-canonicals-isv-priorities/

Ubuntu 10.04 Linux will be a Lucid Lynx