Re: [News] A Look Ahead at Desktop GNU/Linux (Specifically Ubuntu Lucid Lynx)

____/ wispygalaxy on Friday 25 Sep 2009 22:10 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Women and Ubuntu
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | How to achieve that goal is a pretty complex question,
>> | and Iâm not qualified to give a good answer.  A blog
>> | post by Elizabeth Krumbach of Ubuntu Women offers some
>> | good suggestions for raising the profile of female
>> | contributors to Ubuntu, but none of those suggestions
>> | has yet been acted upon, as far as I know.
>> | Nonetheless, this is an issue that canât be ignored if
>> | bug #1 is truly to be eliminated.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.workswithu.com/2009/09/24/women-and-ubuntu/
>
> I think one reason why women aren't participating widely in free software is
> that the general public is not being educated enough about FOSS.  The guys
> who participate in FOSS probably heard about it from their geeky friends,
> and this is a result of the culture.  Boys are encouraged to dig deeper
> into technology issues.  However, girls only learn the basics of computer
> use in school.  When I was a young girl, I was interested in technology but
> I never looked any further into it.  The stereotypes about the technology
> world held me back.
>
> I only discovered FOSS two years ago when I heard about Ubuntu over the
> Internet.  (I heard about Linux before that, but I didn't know that it was
> FOSS.)  I did my own research about the philosophy and came to love it.
> Many people simply think that all software is commercial and that it needs
> to be paid for.  They don't know that it can be a collaborative process.
>
>> Ubuntu 10.04 Linux will be a Lucid Lynx
>
> Haha, I like the name.
>
> Who knew lynxes could be so cute?:
>
> http://www.thecuteproject.com/images/items/1046.jpg

More so than Leopards [mind case].

Mandriva 2010 ought to be a great release too.

- --
		~~ Best of wishes

:q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp
:quitplease :quitnow :leave :shit ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT http://Schestowitz.com  |     GNU/Linux     |     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
Swap:  4088500k total,   417880k used,  3670620k free,   264040k cached