[News] OBAMAA Keeps Everything Secret, Even Intellectual Monopoly Anti-Magna Carta (ACTA)

  • Subject: [News] OBAMAA Keeps Everything Secret, Even Intellectual Monopoly Anti-Magna Carta (ACTA)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 16:59:26 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Obama Stands Behind âState Secretsâ in Spy Case

,----[ Quote ]
| The Obama administration said Wednesday that it
| would maintain President George W. Bushâs state
| secrets position when it came to lawsuits leftover
| from that administration.

Knowledge Ecology International

,----[ Quote ]
| Poll
| Why does the Obama Administration insist on secrecy | of the draft ACTA text?:
| Civil law injunctions and damages for infringement
| are national security hot spots
| ACTA negotiators don't want people asking informed
| questions about the substance of the agreement
| No one in the Administration cares enough about
| transparency to change the policy set by the Bush
| Administration.
| I don't know, but there must be a good reason

Unconstitutional aspects of ACTA

,----[ Quote ]
| The controversial Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement exceeds the European
| Union competence. National Constitutional Courts may invalidate aspects of

White House: ACTA still âsecret in the interest of national defense or foreign

,----[ Quote ]
| On Thursday, July 30, 2009, the White House office of the United States Trade
| Representative denied release of 4 new proposals for text that were
| circulated in July to âall countriesâ in the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
| Agreement (ACTA) negotiations. The request was limited to documents that were
| prepared in the past 90 days for purpose of discussion at the July 2009 ACTA
| negotiating meeting held in Morocco.

The Basis for Micropatronage

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea that a publication retains value that creates an obligation upon the
| recipient to repay is an epiphenomenon of copyright. This is the peculiar
| idea that the maker or recipient of a copy of a published work extracts value
| from it which must be repaid to its copyright holder (or million dollar fines
| are liable).

EFF sues Obama administration for promised access to secret copyright treaty

,----[ Quote ]
| Rebecca from the Electronic Frontier Foundation sez, "The U.S. government is
| still blocking the release of information about a secret intellectual
| property trade agreement with broad implications for privacy and innovation
| around the world, despite the Obama administration's promises to run a more
| open government. The Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement (ACTA) could
| establish far-reaching customs regulations over Internet traffic in the guise
| of anti-counterfeiting measures, but no one knows for sure the state of this
| pact, as the government is hiding the details. EFF is calling on the feds to
| change their minds, and will keep fighting this in court."

Goodbye WIPO, Hello ACTA?

,----[ Quote ]
| What is really remarkable about this is that Greve can even be asking WIPO to
| consider free software and open standards: a few years ago, such a thing
| would have amounted to blasphemy.
|  Sadly, there is another sign that WIPO is becoming more accommodating to the
|  ideas behind free software: the fact that there seems to be a move to come
|  up with an alternative forum for promoting intellectual monopolies where it
|  will not be so easy to participate.

New ACTA copyright treaty dodges the UN, poor countries and activists

,----[ Quote ]
| Michael Geist sez, "The World Intellectual Property Organization may be best
| known for the Internet treaties that led to the DMCA, but in recent years
| groups like EFF, KEI, and Public Knowledge has helped to open things up and
| move toward a Development Agenda that better balances international
| intellectual property policy. That progress may be threatened by the
| Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement, which officials now acknowledge is
| designed to exclude WIPO, developing countries, and NGOs."

Leaked ACTA Draft: More Power to the RIAA

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent draft of the controversial Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement
| (ACTA) surfaced on Wikileaks this weekend. Among other things, the draft aims
| to strengthen the power and rights of the entertainment industry and other
| copyright holders, by letting them choose how they want to be compensated for
| copyright infringements.

Classified US, Japan and EU ACTA trade agreement drafts, 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| The file presents US, Japan and EU drafts of the controversial international
| copyright and patent trade agreement, ACTA ("Anti-Counterfeiting Trade
| Agreement"). The documents were obtained by Wikileaks staff.

Call the Obama administration and ask for your copy of ACTA now!

,----[ Quote ]