[News] FBI Data Mining Encompasses Everything and Everyone

  • Subject: [News] FBI Data Mining Encompasses Everything and Everyone
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 17:01:39 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Newly Declassified Files Detail Massive FBI Data-Mining Project

,----[ Quote ]
| A fast-growing FBI data-mining system billed as a tool
| for hunting terrorists is being used in hacker and
| domestic criminal investigations, and now contains tens
| of thousands of records from private corporate
| databases, including car-rental companies, large hotel
| chains and at least one national department store,
| declassified documents obtained by Wired.com show.

MI5 Hires Teenagers to Battle Cyber Terrorism

,----[ Quote ]
| MI5 has hired 50 computer-savvy hackers â some of them
| still teenagers â to work in a newly formed top secret
| Cyber Operations Command.

Just valuable to know.

FBI used spyware to catch cable-cutting extortionist

,----[ Quote ]
| CIPAV spyware helped nab unemployed engineer angry over outsourcing

Congress Ponders Cybersecurity Power Grab

,----[ Quote ]
| There was a lot of attention paid last week to a new "cybersecurity" bill
| that would drastically expand the government's power over the Internet. The
| two provisions that have probably attracted the most attention are the parts
| that would allow the president to "declare a cybersecurity emergency" and
| then seize control of "any compromised Federal government or United States
| critical infrastructure information system or network." Perhaps even more
| troubling, the EFF notes a section that states that the government "shall
| have access to all relevant data concerning (critical infrastructure)
| networks without regard to any provision of law, regulation, rule, or policy
| restricting such access."

Cryptome: NSA has access to Windows Mobile smartphones

,----[ Quote ]
| First time in history Cryptome.org has released information about the
| characteristics of NSAâs network surveillance.

Dual_EC_DRBG Added to Windows Vista

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has added the random-number generator Dual_EC-DRBG to Windows
| Vista, as part of SP1. Yes, this is the same RNG that could have an NSA
| backdoor.
| It's not enabled by default, and my advice is to never enable it. Ever.

Microsoft Cofee brews 'back door' fears

,----[ Quote ]
| The assurances came after reports claiming that Cofee could provide a 'back
| door' into Microsoft operating systems and applications.

Bots rule in cyberspace

,----[ Quote ]