[News] The Strengths of Less Simplified Operating Systems

  • Subject: [News] The Strengths of Less Simplified Operating Systems
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 22:52:03 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Linux Desktop - The View from LinuxCon

,----[ Quote ]
| Clearly IT, especially those in the desktop space, is
| looking at, if not an inflection point, then certainly
| the beginning of sea change. There is no question that
| the definition of a desktop is undergoing a change as
| more and more companies rethink the necessity to put a
| machine under each desk. Data breaches, maintenance
| costs, changing device preferences and increased
| connection speeds are making us consider the solutions
| we are asked to present; as maintenance and installation
| costs become the long pole in the budget tent, anything
| that we can do to shorten that pole is good. And a Linux
| desktop, whatever that means, is certainly going to play
| a big role providing those solutions.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-desktop-view-linuxcon

Should Operating Systems Be Intuitive?

,----[ Quote ]
| How do operating systems and breastfeeding figure in the
| same discussion? One is intuitive and the other isn't --
| or neither is, or both ought to be, depending on your
| point of view (and perhaps how your mother fed you).
`----

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Should-Operating-Systems-Be-Intuitive-68203.html?wlc=1253908567

Those who want just an appliance can acquire a console....

Linux Outlaws 112 - PS3 Gaming Special

http://linuxoutlaws.com/podcast/112

Recent:

Ubuntu to make Linux application installation idiot proof

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/ubuntu_to_make_linux_application_installation_idiot_proof