[News] Mainframes with Virtualised GNU/Linux Keep Dominance

  • Subject: [News] Mainframes with Virtualised GNU/Linux Keep Dominance
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 23:01:37 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Mainframes still command a loyal following

,----[ Quote ]
| But there are changes happening. BMC's survey found
| increasing use of Linux, for example.
|
| "IBM is pushing z/Linux and we're finally seeing a big
| upswing in interest. Some customers are even using their
| entire mainframe as one giant Linux box," said Miller.
`----

http://www.v3.co.uk/v3/analysis/2250075/bmc-survey-shows-
mainframes

Recent:

Mainframe emulator goes commercial

,----[ Quote ]
| While CentOS and Debian Linuxes have supported the z
| implementation of the Linux kernel, the mainframe
| variants of Linux from Red Hat and Novell are what
| nearly all mainframe shops use, and this code is
| available for free even if the installation and
| technical support for it is not.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/25/turbohercules_goes_c
ommercial/

Mainframe shops gush over big iron

,----[ Quote ]
| What can be said is that by corralling some mainframe
| engines, slashing their prices, and letting them run Linux
| instances or speed up Java or DB2 workloads, IBM has been
| able to keep the installed base of mainframe processing
| power, as measured in MIPS, growing - even as it has its
| ups and downs each quarter. And the downs have been
| especially sharp since the economic meltdown kicked in a
| year ago.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/17/idc_ca_mainframe_sur
veys/