[News] What Moving from Proprietary to Free Software Mentality Practically Means

  • Subject: [News] What Moving from Proprietary to Free Software Mentality Practically Means
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:36:43 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Why Open Source is not Magic Pixie Dust, Part 284

,----[ Quote ]
| The move was widely reported, and led to the ideas behind
| free software being introduced to many people for the
| first time. But the initial hopes of that announcement
| were not realised. Turning Netscape's Communicator program
| â the name used for the expanded version of Netscape
| Navigator, including extra functionality like email â into
| Mozilla, as the new code was baptised, proved much harder
| than expected.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2560&blogid=14

Recent:

Google Launches the Data Liberation Front

,----[ Quote ]
| As well as being welcome, I think this is a shrewd move on Google's part. It is
| essentially raising the bar for all cloud computing providers. It is
| obviously pretty confident that it can supply good enough services for people
| to want to keep their data in them, even if they can remove stuff quite easily.
| The bet is probably that users will shy away from cloud computing providers who
| *don't* offer the same kind of pledges as Google. It will be interesting to see
| how the other major players respond.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=2517&blogid=14

Related:

Liberal Democrats decide to go for Open Source software

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.publictechnology.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=17334