[News] A Case for Free Software Migration in New York Schools

  • Subject: [News] A Case for Free Software Migration in New York Schools
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 02:19:34 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

NYC Schools Overpaying For Proprietary Software

,----[ Quote ]
| What about the fact that open source applications
| require more customization and hands-on knowledge
| on the part of administrators?
|
| Fitzgerald admitted that open source software
| "requires you devote more time at the outset."
| But on the other hand, he told me, "you are
| spending your money in-house, and the skills you
| acquire developing the tool stay within your
| school district."
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/09/nyc_schools_ove.html;jsessionid=E0RF5JYYDTEI1QE1GHPSKH4ATMY32JVN

Recent:

Free software a back-to-school bargain

,----[ Quote ]
| It's up to the purchaser to equip a new laptop with usable software and that
| additional cost can quickly become overwhelming. Luckily, the Internet is a
| treasure trove of free software that will replicate most of the expensive
| retail products for a Windows, Mac or Linux computer.
`----

http://www.thepeterboroughexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1717833

Back To School With Linux!

,----[ Quote ]
| I just received my first back to school notice in my email box. It came from
| PCMagazine.  They're touting "Back to School software."  But they also
| feature a review of Microsoft's Windows 7 operating system.
|
| I looked it over and I'm not impressed.  You can read the review here.  If
| you currently run Windows XP, well, you'll want to know about "XP Mode."
| This is virtualization software that allows XP users to run XP legacy
| software in Windows 7.  Problem is, it doesn't work very well.
|
| And other questions about Windows 7 are cropping up.  John C. Dvorak's column
| details some of the backlash.
`----

http://www.oneclicklinux.com/2009/08/back-to-school-with-linux_07.html

Walking a Kid Home