[News] More Moves in the British Government Towards Freedom

  • Subject: [News] More Moves in the British Government Towards Freedom
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 07:29:49 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Is the UK Government really set to shed 10,000 School ICT Staff?

,----[ Quote ]
| From the manufacturer's point of view it's a loss-leader which
| just happens to have a big pay back for them when the students
| leave school with familiarity with their products. Some
| uncharitable people liken it to 'hooking' the young and
| vulnerable. This story is not a million miles away from
| putting soft drink vending machines into schools for free.
`----

http://www.siriusit.co.uk/blogs/30-sep-2009/uk-government-really-set-shed-10000-school-ict-staff

What Light on Yonder gov.uk Site Breaks?

,----[ Quote ]
| The first glint of hope for openness in the UK government
| begins to sparkle:
|
|     From today we are inviting developers to show government
|     how to get the future public data site right - how to find
|     and use public sector information.
`----

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/2009/09/what-light-on-yonder-ukgov-site-breaks.html

UK needs to be more open to open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Labour's lapse has been so great that the Conservatives have
| been able to leap in with promises that they will save Â600m
| from public expenditure by switching to OSS. The opportunity
| to do this, and more, is surely there. With its creative
| skills, culture of free health, free museums and giving blood
| for free, Britain ought to be a world leader in open source.
| It is our kind of thing.
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/sep/30/uk-government-open-source-software

Recent:

Local Googlement

,----[ Quote ]
| There is one of its services that Google forgot to promote to councils that
| could save them a lot of money: Google Code. Local government in this country
| needs to share code as well as using open source software developed by other
| organisations.
`----

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10013449o-2000331765b,00.htm?new_comment

Councils 'turning to open source software'

,----[ Quote ]
| Local authorities in the UK are increasingly turning to open source software
| as a way to reduce IT costs, says new research..
|
| Around half of councils surveyed by Public Sector Forums said they will
| increase use of open source by 2011.
`----

http://www.24dash.com/news/Local_Government/2009-08-12-Councils-turning-to-open-source-software

Tories call for health computer systems cuts

,----[ Quote ]
| Mr O'Brien insisted that "open source" systems could be more secure. We guess
| he means open source database software run by government offices, not
| inviting all the world's under-employed programmers to rewrite the UK's NHS
| software systems.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1528873/tories-health-systems-cuts

Conservatives publish NHS IT policy pledges

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerweekly.com/blogs/tony_collins/2009/08/conservatives-publish-nhs-it-p.html