[News] [Rival] Microsoft Recite Bites the Dust as Microsoft Enters Debt

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Recite Bites the Dust as Microsoft Enters Debt
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2009 07:37:36 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft Recite dies on December 31, 2009

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has announced that it is discontinuing Microsoft
| Recite, an application for Windows Mobile that uses voice-
| search technology to let users record and search voice
| notes. The product never made it out of the Technology
| Preview status.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/09/microsoft-recite-dies-on-december-31-2009.ars

Microsoft nixes Recite app

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is discontinuing Recite, a Windows Mobile
| application that lets people record audio notes to
| themselves and search them later by voice, according to a
| notice today on the Microsoft Recite site. The app will no
| longer be offered as of Dec. 31, 2009, the company says.
`----

http://www.techflash.com/seattle/2009/09/microsoft_nixes_recite_app.html?ana=from_rss

Microsoft Recite wonât see the New Year!

http://www.duniyalive.com/?p=65991

Microsoft Pulls the Plug on Recite for Windows Mobile
http://jkontherun.com/2009/09/30/microsoft-pulls-the-plug-on-recite-for-windows-mobile/

Recent:

Microsoft Kills Dynamics Mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft on Thursday said it has discontinued the mobile
| versions of its Dynamics ERP (enterprise resource planning)
| products.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/172648/microsoft_kills_dynamics_mobile.html

Microsoft kills Dynamics Mobile

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/180292.asp?from=blog_last3

Risk in office blogs

,----[ Quote ]
| Mini Microsoft, the anonymous blogger widely believed to be
| a well-informed employee working at the software companyâs
| Redmond headquarters, heavily criticised this yearâs
| Microsoft annual employee meeting. He gave a two-zero
| rating to Steve Ballmer, Microsoftâs chief executive, and
| described Stephen Elop, head of Microsoftâs business
| division, as âsuck[ing] the life out of the entire
| stadiumâ.
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/942fc036-7589-11db-aea1-0000779e2340.html

Microsoft offers no reasons for discontinuation of two Dynamics mobile products

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft officials notified the companyâs partners on
| September 1 that Microsoft is discontinuing the mobile
| versions of its Dynamics AX and Dynamics NAV ERP
| products.
|
| (Word of the move trickled out broadly last Friday,
| via a report from IDG News Service.)
|
| What is still not clear is why Microsoft officials
| made the decision to phase out the two products. I
| asked why Microsoft decided to discontinue the mobile
| clients for the Dynamics products, but received an
| answer from a spokesperson that elaborated on the
| âwhen,â but omitted the âwhy.â
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=4085

Microsoft to halt Live Framework CTP on Sept. 8

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft on Sept. 8 plans to discontinue its Live Framework Community
| Technology Preview for developers, instead integrating the framework into the
| next release of the company's Windows Live online services.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9137030/Microsoft_to_halt_Live_Framework_CTP_on_Sept._8?source=rss_news

No vertically-focused Microsoft Office on the docket (for now)

,----[ Quote ]
| For now, the answer is no. A Microsoft Office spokesperson whom I contacted
| this week said Microsoft is not building an Office for Advertising SKU.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3180

TrueSpace story ending

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft took over Caligari TrueSpace earlier last year and later released
| the software as freeware. They have now decided to discontinue TrueSpace -
| the first services will be disabled by tomorrow. This is a truly sad day for
| their loyal user base.
`----

http://www.blendernation.com/2009/05/21/truespace-story-ending/

Yahoo Answers wins: Microsoft to kill QnA on May 21

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's QnA website has had a very shaky development, never quite
| becoming good enough to lose the beta tag, and never quite becoming popular
| enough for its company to give it the attention it really required. Finally,
| the long road for QnA is coming to a dead end. On the Live QnA Team Blog this
| week, Microsoft announced that it would be discontinuing its QnA service.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/05/yahoo-answers-wins-microsoft-to-kill-qna-on-may-21.ars

Microsoft retreats to familiar BI ground

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has surprised the market by announcing its intention to stop
| selling PerformancePoint Server as a standalone product, just 17 months after
| its original launch.
`----

http://www.itbrief.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3219&Itemid=806

Microsoft to ditch MSN Groups?

,----[ Quot ]
| An e-mail snafu has led to the leak of Microsoft's decision to shutter its
| MSN Groups service, according to LiveSide.net.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-10067137-36.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Windows Live Expo set to expire next month

,----[ Quote~ ]
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-9961990-36.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Windows Live Expo set to expire next month

,----[ Quote~ ]
| Chalk one point up to Craigslist: Microsoft has decided to shut down Windows
| Live Expo, the classifieds service that it originally launched in February
| 2006.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-9961990-36.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

Microsoft Burns Down Book Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Citing poor demand, Microsoft will back away from scanning and indexing books
| and academic works for Live Search
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/05/23/microsoft-burns-down-book-search

EFF: Microsoft betrayed MSN Music customers

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation says that Microsoft has "betrayed" MSN
| Music customers and wants the company to make things right by issuing an
| apology, refunds, and eliminate digital rights management technology from the
| Zune music player.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9931304-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Microsoft Closing Live Search Books and Academic Projects

,----[ Quote ]
| What do you think about Microsoft's move to end their Live Search Books and
| Academic Projects?
`----

http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/080523-114536

Microsoft continues paring back the Windows Live family

,----[ Quote ]
| But the future of services outside of the core Windows Live group seems
| uncertain. I had been hearing talk for the past few months that Microsoft was
| readying a new consumer service for public safety. The alleged service,
| according to sources, was designed to help individuals locate friends and
| family members during a crisis or catastrophe. (I heard Microsoft might be
| eveloping a similar service aimed at enterprises, too.) Given that the
| Windows Live team seems more focused on paring down than building out the
| Live stable of services, Iâm wondering whether this one will ever see the
| light of day.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1426

Is Windows Live dying?

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the last year, Microsoft's Windows Live service lineup has
| grown exponentially. At one point months ago, it seemed clear
| that every service Microsoft brought online would fall under the
| Live brand, but lately the trend seems to be moving slowly in
| the opposite direction. What's happening to Windows Live?
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2007/2/20/7154

Windows Live Shopping no more - MSN Shopping to remain

,----[ Quote ]
| From today Windows Live Shopping beta will be taken offline, with users
| being sent to MSN Shopping, available at shopping.msn.com.
`----

http://www.liveside.net/blogs/main/archive/2007/02/19/windows-live-shopping-no-more-msn-shopping-to-remain.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/287gy6

Sources: Several Windows Live Projects Halted

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's Windows Live desktop search project has been
| shelved "indefinitely," although not much reasoning has been
| given as to the reason for its demise.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Sources_Several_Windows_Live_Projects_Halted/1163715423

Microsoft Office Live migration is adding insult to injury

,----[ Quote ]
| On January 29, Microsoft posted to the Office Live blog a status update
| re: the migration. The news isn't good.
|
| Office Live logoBeta testers are still potentially "months" away fromb
| eing migrated to the final version of their Office Live services.
| Functionality like backup and restore isn't going to work until
| their accounts are migrated. And Microsoft will give testers only
| a 24-hour heads-up when they are set to be migrated. During that
| 24-hour period, users won't be able to make changes to their
| Office Live sites.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=243

Office Live: Better Off Dead?

,----[ Quote ]
| Last month I killed Office Live in an act of self defense, after
| repeated access problems and attempts to move my domain to another
| registrar. Judging from the comments to that post, there's an Office
| Live killing spree going on. Not surprisingly, Microsoft wants to put
| an end to the wanton killing.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/web_services_browser/office_live_better_off_dead.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/ybsz2o

Microsoft profit on slide

,----[ Quote ]
| Some analysts are looking for any signs of improvement from
| Microsoft's internet division, which continues to lose market
| share in web search to Google.
|
| Microsoft's online services group saw revenue fall for the last
| four quarters and posted a loss in the past three quarters while
| it shifted to a new internet advertising platform and overhauled
| the company's web properties.
`----

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,21109542%5E15306%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html

Not all Microsoft 'Lives' are created equal

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=324