[News] [Rival] Microsoft Violation of the Law in Mississippi: Payments Impending

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Violation of the Law in Mississippi: Payments Impending
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 21:08:45 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Attorney General Hood: Make claims on Mississippi's Microsoft settlement by Oct. 16

,----[ Quote ]
| Mississippi residents have until Oct. 16 to submit claims under
| the state's settlement of a lawsuit with Microsoft.
|
| The state received $40 million from the settlement, and another
| $60 million was set aside for people, schools and businesses to
| make claims.
|
| [...]
|
| To receive vouchers, people must have purchased certain
| licensed Microsoft software, or a personal computer with
| certain Microsoft software installed on it, for use in
| Mississippi between January 1, 1996 and June 11, 2009. Hood
| says many schools and small businesses may also be eligible.
|
| Claim forms are available at http://www.agjimhood.com.
`----

http://www.wreg.com/sns-ap-ms--mississippi-microsoft,0,2778008.story

Mercury News interview: Antitrust lawyer Gary Reback

http://www.mercurynews.com/google/ci_13453826?nclick_check=1

Recent:

Miss. cashes in on Microsoft settlement

,----[ Quote ]
| The $40 million is the state government's share of national anti-trust
| settlement with Microsoft. Another $60 million will come to the state in the
| vouchers to residents, businesses, governments and public schools.
`----

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20090723/BIZ/90723024/Miss
+cashes+in+on+Microsoft+settlement

Hood signs $40M over to state treasury

,----[ Quote ]
| Up to $60 million in vouchers will be provided to consumers, businesses,
| local governments and public schools to buy software and computers throughh
| Microsoft.
`----

http://www.sunherald.com/218/story/1494872.html

State receives $40M Microsoft settlement

,----[ Quote ]
| The Attorney General's website will be updated as more information on the
| reimbursement becomes available.
|
| It contains more information about the settlement and who is eligible. To
| review the most frequently asked questions in regard to the Microsoft
| settlement, go to www.agjimhood.com <http://www.agjimhood.com,look
| under "about" on the main page, and click on "Microsoft Settlement."
`----

http://www.clintonnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090723/NEWS/90723001

AG Receives $40 million from Microsoft

http://www.ago.state.ms.us/index.php/press/releases/ag_receives_40_million_from_microsoft/

Microsoft to pay $4.4M in Arizona antitrust settlement

http://blog.seattlepi.com/microsoft/archives/172129.asp

Ariz. Gets $4.4M In Microsoft Antitrust Settlement

,----[ Quote ]
| A judge has granted preliminary approval of a Microsoft Corp. antitrust class
| action settlement that will see the software giant give government entities
| in Arizona $4.4 million to purchase new computer equipment.
`----

http://competition.law360.com/registrations/user_registration?article_id=107469&concurrency_check=false

Microsoft settles suit with Mississippi for $100 mln

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft faced a rush of class-action suits on behalf of consumers in
| individual states after a U.S. federal judge found in 2000 that the world's
| largest software company abused its monopoly power by tying its Internet
| Explorer browser to its Windows operating system.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUSN1152686420090611

Related:

Crimes Microsoft Gets Away With - So Far

,----[ Quote ]
| News publications are cautious about making accusations, and because of that,
| some nasty acts of Microsoft are essentially being erased from the record.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft convinced Baystar Capital to put $50 Million dollars into SCO's
| lawsuit against IBM and other Open Source users, and promised to "backstop"
| Baystar's investment if SCO lost money, according to this sworn testimony.
| But I'm told that one person's testimony, even sworn testimony, isn't proof.
`----

http://technocrat.net/no-cache/d/2008/7/30/46981

Microsoft tries to avoid Ballmer deposition in Vista suit

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. Chief Executive Steve Ballmer is the subject of a new legal
| squabble in a lawsuit over the company's Windows Vista marketing practices.
`----

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2008/09/29/daily37.html

Is MS Preening in Public Posts?

,----[ Quote ]
| The author of the email, posted on ZDNet in a Talkback forum on the Microsoft
| antitrust trial, claimed her name was Michelle Bradley and that she
| had "retired" from Microsoft last week.
|
| "A verbal memo [no email allowed] was passed around the MS campus encouraging
| MS employee's to post to ZDNet articles like this one," the email said.
|
| "The theme is 'Microsoft is responsible for all good things in computerdom.'
| The government has no right to prevent MS from doing anything. Period.
| The 'memo' suggests we use fictional names and state and to identify
| ourselves as students," the author claimed.
`----

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news/1999/02/17745

Unclear if Microsoft memo will be allowed evidence

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKL1051259520070910?rpc=44