[News] [Rival] Visa Applications Discriminate Against Free Software Users

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Visa Applications Discriminate Against Free Software Users
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 21:10:21 +0100
  • Followup-to: comp.os.linux.advocacy
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

US Visa application not possible if you use free software!

,----[ Quote ]
| I wanted to go to the international conference on semantic web to
| be held in October 2009 near Washington.  So I try to apply for US
| visa.  There seems to be no way for a person to apply for US visa
| without using MS Internet Explorer.  Firefox/Mozilla based
| browsers donât work.  In protest to this unfair practice, I have
| written the following open letter to the Ambassador of United
| States in India.
`----

http://gnowgi.org/2009/10/02/usvisab/

Recent:

H-1Bs under attack

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, no - actually, Microsoft's obligation is to keep itself afloat in these
| difficult economic times, so that it can continue creating revenues for the
| American economy. And it's no surprise Microsoft would look to foreigners for
| help - 35 percent of the company's patent applications last year came from
| its H-1B and green-card employees.
|
| But these are delicate things to point out to the American public. Fearing
| more political demagoguery, Microsoft swiftly backpedaled, claiming that it
| plans to file "substantially fewer" H-1B applications this year, and adding
| that none of the foreigners will be replacing fired American workers.
`----

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/11/ED3G16HV0L.DTL

Work-visa applications tumble

,----[ Quote ]
| Foreign companies seeking to place workers in American jobs were the big
| winners in the past, with Indian technology companies Infosys Technologies
| Ltd., Wipro Ltd. and Satyam Computer Services Ltd. netting 9,154 spots for
| the 2008 fiscal year, according to Citizen and Immigration Services. By
| comparison, Microsoft was awarded 1,037 H1-B visas and Intel got 351.
`----

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/nation/bal-te.visas12apr12,0,4466847.story

Related:

Guess Who's Getting the Most Work Visas

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft (MSFT) and Intel (INTC) are the only two traditional U.S. tech
| companies among the top 10. Microsoft received 959 visa petition approvals,
| or one fifth as many as Infosys, while Intel got 369.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/08_11/b4075062465238.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

Study: There Is No Shortage of U.S. Engineers

,----[ Quote ]
| ...a new study from Duke University calls this argument bunk, stating
| that there is no shortage of engineers in the United States, and
| that offshoring is all about cost savings.

Is There a Shortage of U.S. Tech Workers?

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking before a Senate committee earlier this month, Gates said
| that America is facing a critical shortage of tech workers. He
| recommended boosting the number of H-1B visas to allow more foreign
| tech workers into the U.S.
|
| [...]
|
| "I think that has created an environment where the population of advanced
| skill workers has shrunk a lot in the U.S., because we just haven't created
| a fair system," he says. "Where if you go to other countries, you'll find
| national policy around broadband deployment, which creates a much more even
| playing field for people of all income levels to learn by and work by."
|
| "We did it to ourselves," he says.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/career/article.php/3667376

Microsoft Sending All XP and Vista Tech Support Calls To India?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is sending ALL of its XP and Vista tech support calls to India
| starting March 29th, according to a call center insider
`----

http://www.consumerist.com/consumer/microsoft/microsoft-sending-all-xp-and-vista-tech-support-calls-to-india-245048.php

"Dear Microsoft": An open letter to Microsoft regarding the outsourcing of
jobs.

,----[ Quote ]
| Don't get it twisted: I don't have a problem with you outsourcing
| jobs to people that will work for next-to-nothing. It's just
| getting a bit out of hand, don't you think? I mean, there's no
| point trying to fool me.
`----

http://www.lastnameball.com/RantsandTirades/Pages/DearMicrosoft.html

http://airpost.org/microsoft.jpg

Bill Gates to address Senate panel

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates is scheduled to descend on Capitol Hill
| next week to pepper a U.S. Senate committee with his suggestions for
| boosting American competitiveness.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10796_3-6163930.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Microsoft India centre working on Windows 7

,----[ Quote ]
| Designers and engineers at Microsoft R&D centre in India have a new mandate
| for development of Windows 7, the next generation operating system from
| Microsoft Corporation, slated for release in 2009-10.
`----

http://www.moneycontrol.com/india/news/business/microsoft-india-centre-workingwindows-7/09/56/296305

US Congress members push Gates's line on visas

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/17/h1b_reform_bills_gates/