[News] Free Software and Open Source Coexist

Strength of support models and symbiosis for free and open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| Next, I wanted to address the free software and freedom
| versus open source and business debate. While this is,
| similar to open source versus proprietary, also viewed
| often as a âwarâ that must have a winner and loser, it
| is my fundamental belief what without freedom, the
| ideology of free software and organizations such as the
| Free Software Foundation, commercial open source would
| be nothing more than some big vendorâs or big
| consortiumâs latest buzzword, campaign, strategy, etc.
| Conversely, without the billions and billions of dollars
| that vendors, channel players and others are making and
| the costs that customers and users are saving thanks to
| open source software, the ideology would most likely be
| relegated to academia and philosophy books. Thus, the
| two â that is free software and the ideology and open
| source software and the commercial use of it â are
| symbiotic.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2009/10/02/strength-of-support-models-and-symbiosis-for-free-and-open-source-software/

Recent:

FOSS: War is over (if you want it)

,----[ Quote ]
| And its in that context that we have seen the recommendation
| added to the 2020 FLOSS Roadmap, that FOSS should be recognised
| as a public knowledge asset. I think that this, as well as the
| other issues mentioned above, will represent some of the emerging
| battlegrounds for FOSS in the next decade as the movement moves
| from a position of acceptance to a position where collaboration
| and sharing is recognised as a key driver in the promotion of the
| European software industry, and in enabling the digital recovery.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2009/10/01/foss-war-is-over-if-you-want-it/

Open Source: The War Is Over

,----[ Quote ]