[News] Linux-powered Chumby Comes Back Solid

The Chumby One: More powerful, less cushy UPDATE

,----[ Quote ]
| But anyway, the new model is expected to run $100 when it
| drops in a month or two.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/09/30/the-chumby-one-more-powerful-less-cushie/

The critical choice of the right operating system

,----[ Quote ]
| Also on Thursday, Andreas Orfanos, open source software
| consultant at Hedera Innovations Ltd. will explore working
| with real-time Linux. Recently, Linux has gained strong
| momentum in Real-Time applications but which real-time Linux
| is the right one for your project? How does it perform? What
| kind of limitations does it have? What is the licensing model
| for each of one? What kind and where you can find support?
| Orfanos will attempt to provide the answers.
`----

http://eetimes.eu/uk/220300959

Recent:

Murphy's Law: Behold the Open Power of Chumby!

,----[ Quote ]
| Contrary to most of the open-source hardware projects I've mentioned on
| Maximum PC, the Chumby is ready for your attention the moment you pop it out
| of the box. But that doesn't mean that you can't tweak and tinker beyond its
| simplistic exterior. Although cracking open the soft, loveable digital toy
| will violate your warranty, the official Chumby site is more than happy to
| give you a listing of the device's full hardware and accompanying schematics.
| From there, only your conscience toward ripping open friendly, plush,
| communication devices stands in your way of complete hardware transcendence.
`----

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/murphys_law_behold_open_power_chumby

Chumby on everything

,----[ Quote ]
| In the past we have discussed that chumby is really a service, more than
| simply a product (though itâs a great product too: buy one!).  The whole
| point of chumby is to enable your own personalized, always-on, at-a-glance,
| multimedia internet on any connected screen-based device you choose.
| Consider chumby the internet, appropriately delivered, for consumer
| electronics: photo frames, clock radios, even your TV.  Weâre not just
| talking about this as a vision, weâre showing itâtoday.  So hereâs a video
| clip that lets you in on the fun.
`----

http://chumby.wordpress.com/2009/03/09/chumby-on-everything/

Chumby: Open-Source, Internet-enabled gadget modernizes the nightstand clock
and invites hackers

,----[ Quote ]
| A distinguishing attribute to the Chumby is its very open hardware/software
| environment. By making details available on all the inner workings, Chumby
| Industries actively encourages users to hack the device and develop new uses
| for the platform. While many electronic devices have their own supporting
| software development kit (SDK) environment for third parties, few are as open
| as the Chumby's, which provides access to everything from the hardware
| schematics to an open-source Linux-based software client.
`----

http://www.eetimes.com/news/design/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=218900285

Chumby Industries Gears Up to Bring the Internet Nearly Everywhere

,----[ Quote ]
| Though 2009 has only just begun, it looks like this year's going to be a busy
| one for Chumby Industries. The makers of the hackable, completely open,
| Linux-based, internet-enabled, so-much-more-than-an-alarm-clock -- well,
| alarm clock -- have announced a number of partnerships since January's
| Consumer Electronics Show.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/chumby-industries-gears-up-to-bring-the-internet-nearly-everywhere

Broadcom brings the Chumby RIA platform to STBs, Blu-ray

,----[ Quote ]
| Broadcom has incorporated the scalable Linux-based widget platform into a
| system-on-a-chip for TV-based hardware, equipping the latest
| Internet-connected devices with all of Chumby's partner content, which
| includes Pandora, The New York Times, SHOUTcast, CBS, The Weather Channel,
| and MTV.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Broadcom_brings_the_Chumby_RIA_platform_to_STBs_Bluray/1235398528

ETech Preview: Inside Factory China

,----[ Quote ]
| JAMES TURNER: Andrew "bunnie" Huang is the Vice President of Hardware
| Engineering and Founder of Chumby Industries. He's pretty much the consummate
| hardware geek who has used his doctorate from MIT in electrical engineering
| to do everything from designing opto-electronics to hacking the Xbox. The
| Chumby, an internet appliance that delivers a cornucopia of information, is
| his latest endeavor. And he'll be talking about the process of getting it
| manufactured in China at O'Reilly's Emerging Technology Conference in March.
| Thank you for taking the time to talk to us.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/2009/02/etech-preview-inside-factory-c.html

Chumby Industries Begins Its World Tour

,----[ Quote ]
| Chumby Industries intended all along to open sales outside the US, but
| electronics standards (and approval procedures) vary from country to country,
| and it's been time consuming. Some international users turned to friends in
| the States or third party shippers, but now, at least in a few countries,
| this is no longer necessary. Chumby is available at select retailers in
| Japan, and a Japanese language Chumby portal was launched last month.
`----

http://ostatic.com/blog/chumby-industries-begins-its-world-tour

Open Source Alarm Clock Transcends the Nightstand

,----[ Quote ]
| Chumby runs a customized Linux distribution, and there are a few ways
| software developers can have some fun with Chumby from recompiling the kernel
| for added peripheral support to widget development (though Adobe Flash Lite
| 3.0 is used to deliver/develop widgets, Chumby has a list of open source
| Flash tools useful in widget development). And of course, since Chumby is
| open, there are projects in the works to offer alternative ways to interact
| with and control the device.
`----

http://ostatic.com/176172-blog/open-source-alarm-clock-transcends-the-nightstand

Chumby: Fun, Functional, Squishy

,----[ Quote ]
| Chumby, a Linux-embedded WiFi-connected widget-delivering little squishy
| thing, is fun and functional, writes the Chicago Tribune's Eric Benderoff. A
| reader took him to task for recommending a one-trick pony that gives baseball
| scores, challenging him to check out Chumby.

Say hello to my little friend

,----[ Quote ]
| The Chumby runs on Linux and is designed with both software and hardware
| hacking in mind - offering almost unlimited flexibility.
`----

http://blogs.smh.com.au/gadgetsonthego/archives/2008/06/say_hello_to_my_little_friend.html

Programmers, DIY Types Embrace Soft, Hackable Chumby

,----[ Quote ]
| "The key part of the Chumby's appeal is that it's an embedded-hardware device
| that's open," says Andrew Walton, a seasoned Linux programmer and Chumby
| software hacker who moderates his own Chumby-hacking forum. "Everyone's used
| to open source software, but with open source hardware it's a whole new game.
| When you combine them both, Chumby hackers can literally do anything they
| want."
`----

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mods/news/2008/04/chumby_hackers

Chumby Redux

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that George is right about where I want him, I've started to think that
| maybe it's time to add a second Chumby to the family. The problem that I'm
| having more and more with George lately is that he is so useful at what he
| does I don't want to clutter him up with other things, or move him somewhere
| else, or experiment with him. In fact, if I tried to do any of those things,
| I would probably get in trouble with the rest of the family. He belongs in
| the kitchen doing what he is currently doing. His experimental days are
| basically over.
|
| I'd like to set up the new Chumby as an office assistant that lives next to
| my computer. Something I can use as a photo viewer, a news/weather/sports
| reader, a webcam viewer, and to just experiment with.
|
| I think I'll call her Gracie.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/chumby-redux

Chumby maker nets cutest Series B round ever

,----[ Quote ]
| Chumby Industries, manufacturer of the eponymous huggable touch-screen Wi-Fi
| widget gadget, announced Monday that it has raised $12.5 million in Series B
| venture funding. The lead investor in the round was JK&B Capital, but
| existing investors Avalon Ventures, Masthead Venture Partners, and O'Reilly
| AlphaTech Ventures also contributed.
`----

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9906360-1.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Chumby offers widgets of fun and data in miniature

,----[ Quote ]
| At its core, the Chumby is a tiny Linux-based computer stuffed into a soft,
| leather-like case that resembles a beanbag. It uses Wi-Fi to connect to the
| Internet, from which it downloads widgets that deliver specific bits of
| information to its 3.5-inch touchscreen.
`----

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/silverman/5608240.html

Tinkererâs Toy

,----[ Quote ]
| The Chumby is Internet-connected, runs on Linux software and is extremely
| hackable. In other words, it is a thoroughly open-source device.
|
| But alpha geeks are a small customer base, and Chumby Industries is betting
| that those early, tinker-mad consumers will transform its product into
| something more compelling to the rest of us. Chumby falls into the emerging
| category of âambientâ devices: instead of presenting information or
| entertainment in response to the endless searching and clicking of the Web,
| these devices serve it up without your lifting a finger. (Other examples
| include the rabbit-shaped Nabaztag, which delivers information aloud, or by
| flashing colors, and the Ambient Orb, which translates information about
| traffic data and so on into a variable glow.) In short, the Chumby model
| attracts people who crave actively creating something that will be enjoyed
| passively.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/22/magazine/22wwln-consumed-t.html?_r=1&ref=magazine&oref=slogin

Related:

Linux-based programmable clock radio arrives

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux-based Chumby started shipping in limited quantities in November.
| Designed for the bedside, desktop, and kitchen counter, the alarm-clock sized
| Chumby boasts hackable, open source hardware, software, and "outerware"
| (patterns are available for those wishing to dress their chumby in new
| jackets).

The Chumby: Fun, Hackable and full of Potential

,----[ Quote ]
| All in all I give the Chumby a big thumbs up. It's fun to use and easy to
| hack so it's perfectly suited to satisfy your inner geek. It's also useful
| and cheap enough that you can convince your non-geek Significant Other to buy
| you one. If the community comes through with a decent package repository and
| tools, I see lots of potential besides just playing Flash widgets. I just
| hope that they can fix the touchscreen's responsiveness when using your
| finger instead of a stylus or the tip of your nail.
`----

http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/96965/

Review: Chumby

| So far itâs a nice piece of gadgetry to have around. Iâve been enjoying
| letting it auto-cycle through a bunch of channels including Woot!, Google
| News, and others, and occasionally I lookup to see what the Panda at the zoo
| is doing, which is always fun. I also find myself occasionally playing one of
| the many Flash-lite based games around, so itâs a key tool for any
| procrastinator. I could also imagine using it as a reminder tool or alarm
| clock and even having it cycle through my pictures on Picasa. The
| possibilities are definitely endless.
`----

http://www.geek.com/review-chumby/

Linux gadget to replace the clock radio?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS4509751265.html